Rideurs of the decade

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I think Sagan's position is too upright to look really classy descending... Nibali and Alaphillippe both look better on the bike I reckon.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    edited January 2020

The first hurdle for PTP is being organised enough to get in your choices on time.

I had a flounce about the 12pm cutoff and have not played since.

Was only kidding. :)

You're all wrong. Mohoric is the best descender followed by Nibali.

Arriviste Evenepoel over MvdP is wrong as well. Remco only really has San Sebastian and the silver at World's ITT. That is dwarfed by MvdP. Love them both, but MvdP was something else this season (Trentin said as much at the Arctic Race of Norway).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited January 2020
    Ah but MvdP is what, 24, soon to be 25? People think he's younger than he is because he spent so long doing cross. I'd even argue he's not actually eligible !

Evenepoel was born in a similar part of the year and is 5 years younger....!

I doubt MvdP could be doing when Evenepoel is when he was 19!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited January 2020

Ah but MvdP is what, 24, soon to be 25? People think he's younger than he is because he spent so long doing cross. I'd even argue he's not actually eligible !

Put it this way: He's a year older than the World Champion and two years older than the Tour de France champion
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Put it this way: He's a year older than the World Champion and two years older than the Tour de France champion
    :smile:
  • m.r.m.

Yes, but aren't awards about what people actually did? Evenepoel can win it next season and will have the 5 years on the back end.
  • rick_chasey
    m.r.m. said:

Yes, but aren't awards about what people actually did? Evenepoel can win it next season and will have the 5 years on the back end.
    In which case, surely Bernal is a better shout?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I'm nominating myself in the Luncheur category.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Descendeur - Roglic (Not giving it to Nibali simply becasue he actually falls off all the time - Nibali can be 'Bounceur')

Decorateur - GvA

Arriviste - Bernal - can't be MvdP for anyone who has followed CX a little

Stylist - Still going to give it to Wiggo

Anti-styliste - Yeah Froome, (on the suspicion that Msr. Voeckler played up to it a little)

Handleur - can't go to any roadie sorry, Jolada Neff or Nino Schurter

Expressioniste - Kate Courtney

Just cos she goes from this...

to this...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Handleur - can't go to any roadie sorry, Jolada Neff or Nino Schurter

If we're going off-road then Danny MacAskell or those guys who play bike football.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    No, we're not going off-road. Not on purpose anyway. Riders capable of taking an unexpected detour off the tarmac are eligible, but this is for skillz in road races.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Pah! Screw your tarmac! ;)

I nominated riders who have to bring the Watts too! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    This the road pro-race forum dd. None your of mud-crusted stuff here.

Who was it who won a classic by taking a wide angle and hopping onto the pavement to keep momentum and then attacking? Sagan maybe? For some reason I thought it might have been Stybar. Was in one of the How The Race Was Won vids. Was a couple of years back.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Puncheur: Gilbert
    Rouleur: Cancellara
    Cobbleur: Cancellara
    Sprinteur: Cav
    Poisson-piloteur: Sabatini/ Morkov
    Classiciste: Gilbert when targeting the event, GVA for consistency
    Grimpeur: Valverde
    Capitaine: Rowe
    Domestique: too many to mention
    Domestique du Train de Montagne: poels/ porte
    Publiciteur: Tommy Voeckler
    Escapeur: De Gendt
    Semaineur: Porte
    Omniveur: Nibali
    Demoiselle: Sep VanMarke/ J-Rod
    Lanterne: Craddock
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Surely Adam Hansen's record breaking 20 consecutive GTs deserves some sort of award beyond a lonely Lanterne nomination...
  • m.r.m.
    No offense intended, but if you just ride them and do some work for some of the stage and then pedal in later, is it really that big an achievement? Once you have a pro level of fitness you can probably get through a GT if your placing has no consequence. Pretty sure all GC contenders could manage it e.g.

Figure very few see the point in it.
  • rick_chasey
    The challenge is to keep being selected....
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

No offense intended, but if you just ride them and do some work for some of the stage and then pedal in later, is it really that big an achievement? Once you have a pro level of fitness you can probably get through a GT if your placing has no consequence. Pretty sure all GC contenders could manage it e.g.

Figure very few see the point in it.

Doing twenty Grand Tours without abandoning is quite an achievement even when they're not consecutive. I don't know if any other rider has. I will investigate.
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2020
    According to ProCyclingStats, only 99 riders in history have even started 20 Grand Tours. Of those only the following have finished 20 in a row.

23 Sylvester Szmyd, Vincente Lopez
    22 Carlos Sastre, Erik Zabel
    21 Lucien Van Impe
    20 Felice Gimondi, Adam Hansen

More people have walked on the moon. The same number of men have married Elizabeth Taylor.
  • m.r.m.
    edited January 2020
    Sure, but that is also because those with the physiology target specific goals in those GT's and lose performance by doing that many. Hence, they opt to do fewer for better results. As stated I'd expect the GT champions to be able to do this if they didn't try to win the GT's (additionally Cancellara and Martin as well if they gave up ITT goals and the classics).

Maybe it's a pointless discussion, because I greatly respect Adam Hansen and really don't intend to belittle the achievement. It's coming across that way though, which I understand. I'm left defending a position I think is correct, but don't really want to defend. :/;)
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

Sure, but that is also because those with the physiology target specific goals in those GT's and lose performance by doing that many. Hence, they opt to do fewer for better results. As stated I'd expect the GT champions to be able to do this if they didn't try to win the GT's (additionally Cancellara and Martin as well if they gave up ITT goals and the classics).

But it also involves doing over 400 days without race ending crashes & illness. The equivalent of doing around 5-6 seasons without a DNF.
  • m.r.m.
    edited January 2020
    Yes that is certainly true. It is impressive, but not an all time achievement in the grand scheme of things. No awards for not falling off. :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    RichN95. said:

According to ProCyclingStats, only 99 riders in history have even started 20 Grand Tours. Of those only the following have finished 20 in a row.

23 Sylvester Szmyd, Vincente Lopez
    22 Carlos Sastre, Erik Zabel
    21 Lucien Van Impe
    20 Felice Gimondi, Adam Hansen

More people have walked on the moon. The same number of men have married Elizabeth Taylor.

Szmyd bit under the radar on that one. Hansen made a brand out of it which arguably was bigger than Sylvester's wins
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    I imagine Szmyd got a bigger pay day though (or at least, relative to his era).

Weren't many better mountain domestiques out there. Always looked like a boxer with that nose opener.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Aren't some of those from when the calendar was quite different as well?
  • rick_chasey
    Not Szmyd, Sastre or Zabel
  • dish_dash
    Hang on... Hansen did 20 consecutive GTs. He rode the Giro/Tour/Vuelta from 2012 to 2017, plus an extra Vuelta on either end.

So for six years on the trot he was present at every GT going. That's slightly different from Szmyd or Sastre or Zabel who all missed one somewhere along the line.

He basically consistently rode around 90 race days a year for 6 years. That's at the top end of race days most years.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Hansen lost any chance of being included in this list by claiming ASP and MySQL as programming languages. I don't care how many consecutive GTs you've ridden, put that on your CV and it's not getting past me.
  • dish_dash

Hansen lost any chance of being included in this list by claiming ASP and MySQL as programming languages. I don't care how many consecutive GTs you've ridden, put that on your CV and it's not getting past me.

You'll have to translate this for me...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dish_dash said:

You'll have to translate this for me...
    When LeTour.fr spoke with Adam Hansen about his interests aside from cycling we asked: how many languages do you speak? His answer was far from the standard one...

“Computer programming languages, I speak five: PHP, MySQL, ASP, VB, Java – actually, and Javascript as well, if you want to include that. And, I've forgotten one that I used to know.

ASP and MySQL aren't languages. It's pretty much like saying you speak Windows 10, or - outside of software - "I speak book"