CAAD 13 or SuperSix Evo (Non disc & not Hi-Mod) 2020

Hi fellow riders,
I am a beginner who wanted to upgrade my bike. I am currently using a 2015 Scott Speedster LTD.

I am thinking to get a SuperSix Evo (rim brake & not hi-Mod) 2020. But when I read a few articles, I found that the weight difference between a SuperSix Evo and CAAD 13 is just a 100g.

I need your insights on what is the difference between an Aluminum bike and Carbon bike.

Should I go for Caad 13 or SuperSix Evo?

Thank you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited December 2019
    My advice would be to see if you can to a test ride on both.

There's a huge variance in how carbon and aluminium bikes ride, so treat it as more of a sort of venn diagram with overlap rather than some clear divide but...

Aluminium, though light and stiff, tends to be a bit buzzy in that you get quite a lot of detailed feedback from the road. Carbon bikes are very varied but generally they're engineered to be light and stiff but can dampen a lot of the finer buzz you get from the road.

If I was guessing I'd imagine the newer bike might be a bit stiffer and more comfortable to ride on, but you're only gonna know when you sit on it.

For the same price range have you looked at other alternatives?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited December 2019
    I've ridden CAAD12 for the past few yeas and it's been superb. Although the above is true, I expect that there are a number of carbon bikes that are harsher and more buzzy than the CAAD12 - certainly if you compare bikes at the same price point.
    From initial reports I've seen, the CAAD13 is a significant improvement.

The new Supersix looks great. Along with others such as the new Tarmac, these are as Aero as a full aero bike was 3 years ago, but also just great all-around quick bikes.

Don't compare them on weight alone - a bottle of water weighs 700g, the kit in your saddlebag might weigh 1kg.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    edited December 2019
    I preferred the caad12 over an older himod Supersix
    Tyre pressure and wheels make a big difference to the ride and I never really find the Caad12 too harsh

I do find it very lively . It’s like a sports coupe v a nice bmw series 5. Both just as fast but one is more fun
    By all accounts the caad13 is better and more compliant

If the Caad had a higher spec for the money I’d go with that