INEOS's best GT Team

Inspired by another thread, your thoughts on their best available lineup as of the start of next year below please.

NB: I'm leaving out the politics of having 4.5 leaders in there for Dave B to deal with!

My thoughts:

Leader: Bernal
Backup Leader: Froome*

Rouleurs & Mid-Mountains: Rowe (captain), Van Baarle, Dennis, Castroviejo

Climbers: Carapaz, Thomas

*purely based on his injury, I think his best days are done

Toughest one was leaving Kwiato out for me but a bad season there coupled with Castroviejo's power in a TTT gives him the edge. Honourable mentions for Hart, Sosa and Moscon.

Comments

• Hard to be these as a best available line up:

Tom Dumoulin
    Primož Roglič
    Steven Kruijswijk
    Wout van Aert
    Tony Martin
    Mike Teunissen
    Dylan Groenewegen
    Laurens De Plus
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Funny how Thomas is considered a climber now. I'd say Carapaz is second and Dr Chris Frooman demoted to last on the mountain train A CHOO aCHOO
  • Given that the best team is always going to be aimed at the TDF, why you worried about performance in a TTT?
  • Given that the best team is always going to be aimed at the TDF, why you worried about performance in a TTT?

I wouldn't say I was as such, but the guys like Castro and Dennis are monsters in both disciplines, so versatile.
  • Hard to be these as a best available line up:

Tom Dumoulin
    Primož Roglič
    Steven Kruijswijk
    Wout van Aert
    Tony Martin
    Mike Teunissen
    Dylan Groenewegen
    Laurens De Plus

Halfway through writing this I was thinking I'd *love* to see what damage yellow lotto could do with their best squad. If it's purely aimed at GC I'd chuck little George Bennett in there in place of Groenewegen.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    MVDP
    7 other riders

- Every category
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Surely Carapaz hasn't signed on to be a domestique, so you'd imagine he's going to target the Giro, and given it seems overkill to have 3 Tour winners in one squad, you'd imagine Thomas would as well. Give one of the younger guys like Sosa or Sivakov super domestique duties for the Tour ala Bernal in 2018.

The bigger challenge will be getting Kwia and Moscon back on form, as they were well off the pace in the race this year, as indeed were all of their domestiques apart from van Baarle.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Kwiatkowski has been doing cyclocross over the winter. I think more and more are going that path after seeing the form WVA and MvdP bring into the road season. I'm optimistic for him for 2020.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    m.r.m. said:

Kwiatkowski has been doing cyclocross over the winter. I think more and more are going that path after seeing the form WVA and MvdP bring into the road season. I'm optimistic for him for 2020.

He's done one local Polish race, which isn't UCI ranked, as far as I'm aware.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Ok maybe I got fooled by the pics on social media. :o
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Can't be bothered to start a new thread but thought some of you might be interested in the documentary on BBC Wales this Thursday Geraint Thomas: The Road Will Decide https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cjbj

If you're outside Wales and on Sky then you should be able to find the channel up in the high 900s after the channels you pretend you don't watch! I assume it will be on iPlayer too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Hard to be these as a best available line up:

Tom Dumoulin
    Primož Roglič
    Steven Kruijswijk
    Wout van Aert
    Tony Martin
    Mike Teunissen
    Dylan Groenewegen
    Laurens De Plus

Halfway through writing this I was thinking I'd *love* to see what damage yellow lotto could do with their best squad. If it's purely aimed at GC I'd chuck little George Bennett in there in place of Groenewegen.
    If you don't have Groenewegen why bother having Teunissen in? For pure GC you'd chuck both out and stick in Tolhoek and either Gesink or Sep Kuss.
  • My thinking is along the lines of Teunissen is a solid enough classics guy too, so you'd keep him there for some Roulering duties. Groenewegen doesn't give you that, and surely there's enough climbers in there already.