Lights set up

2»

Comments

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I currently have an Hope R4 front and the district rear set up. I routed cables through the frame. External 2 cell battery pack installed to a cageless tool keg. I carry spare battery in pannier for emergency on the commute. The rear light is fixed to the rack.

I was/am tempted with dynamo hub and light set up with different summer wheels but not got there yet and think the current set up is great
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    On the front I have a Cateye 800 lumens (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/lights-reflectives/cateye-volt-800) and a lezyne zecto (flashing); and the rear I have a cheap cateye (full) and a lezyne zecto (flashing)

I have a short bit of morning commute that is pitch black before 7am (through Greenwich park) and I use the full 800 lumens at the front then and it lights up the road in front of me brilliantly and ensures I avoid potholes, bits of branch on roads and squirrels etc (important as there is a steep downhill when speed is quite high). But the rest of my commute is extremely well lit (this is London) and so I dip the front light down to its economy setting which is 200 lumens (there is a 400 lumens option too).

The 800 lumens, even angled down, can distract other road users including other cyclists which can actually add to danger in my view. It is incredibly bright. And it's totally unnecessary in very well lit areas when you simply need to "be seen". The 200 lumens combined with the flashing zecto, combined with reflective clothing, means I think I'm very visible