Stiff handle bars and grinding sound

timmcc83
timmcc83 Posts: 4
edited December 2019 in MTB general

Hi guys, i would have liked to show you a video recording but i don't think the site allows it.

Looking at the image you will see that i have managed to take the handle bars off, but i do not know how to remove the rusty tube.

I attempted to ride my bike this morning and the handle bars were locked stiff and i had to force it to turn and free itself. However there is a grinding sound when i turn the wheel left or right.

Using google and searching through the images i believe its the bearing and cup that may be causing the grinding. Only i can't get to them.

I also loosened the clamp at the wheel (clamp that releases the wheel part) and the grinding still continued.

Any tips, suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• billycool said:
    Thanks for the video, that was the best one i have seen yet.

I have an issue with the black washers, they are stuck firmly on, how do i get them off.

Also, the bike is CARRERA KRAKEN mtb (i think) anyone guess where i can get the correct washers?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The black 'washers' are spacers that should just slide off the steerer. Looking at the photo there appears to be a lot of corrosion or gunky build up on the steerer. You need to clean it off somehow and then remove the spacers.
    If you don't know what you are doing I suggest you take the bike to your LBS and ask them to look at it for you.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    If the bars were that stiff to turn it suggests that you have not ridden the bike for a very long time and it was stored in a wet or damp place. In either case your headset bearings are toast and will need replacing.

To get away with it for a few rides you could try dousing it with some 3in1 oil and around the top and bottom of the steerer and working the bars side to side. This should loosen them up but will also dilute the grease in the bearings. They are shot anyway and will need replacing but you might get a ride or two out of them.

Get it to an LBS to have a look. Halfords seem to be the biggest seller of Carrera Krackens so they should have bearings to fit in stock. From the photo it looks like you have rusty gunk on the suspension too so that indicates water has entered them so they will need stripping and regreasing too.

Good luck.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• If the bars were that stiff to turn it suggests that you have not ridden the bike for a very long time and it was stored in a wet or damp place. In either case your headset bearings are toast and will need replacing.

To get away with it for a few rides you could try dousing it with some 3in1 oil and around the top and bottom of the steerer and working the bars side to side. This should loosen them up but will also dilute the grease in the bearings. They are shot anyway and will need replacing but you might get a ride or two out of them.

Get it to an LBS to have a look. Halfords seem to be the biggest seller of Carrera Krackens so they should have bearings to fit in stock. From the photo it looks like you have rusty gunk on the suspension too so that indicates water has entered them so they will need stripping and regreasing too.

Good luck.

You got any idea how much this is going to set me back?

Im going have a go and fix it myself but when i get time il go buy the parts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Parts, no more than £25

Time, I could do it in an hour at home.

Steps....
    1/ Remove spacers,
    2/ Knock down the steerer, this will need a block of wood to prevent damage) and some hefty blows with a hammer.
    3/ Once its moved down, knock it up and remove the compression wedge and then slide the forks out.
    4/ If it's loose ball, remove ball bearings, clean up, clean cups and cones and inspect for damage, rebuild with new balls and grease.
    b) If its cartridge bearing or the cup/cones are FUBAR, then knock and bearings and replace with a new headset.
    5/ Rebuild.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.