Overreaching as a new cyclist

Hi, I started cycling again in November after 3 months off for personal reasons, I had built up a fair capacity for long rides at a reasonable pace over about 9 months starting off with 30 minutes and being able to do 4 hours no problem by June this year. Now that I am back at it I have lost a fair bit of fitness but my base is still there a little and after a month I can do 3 hours if rested but not back to back yet. I did a few back to back 3 hour rides and though I completed them I felt like crap for a few days my sleep was all messed up, I felt agitated and had some anxiety.

Is this Just a normal part of Cycling or have I pushed it too much too soon? Is there a amount you increase your long rides by each week?

Thanks

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    If you are feeling rubbish for a few days after riding you are either pushing yourself too hard or you have some underlying illness or virus. Obviously you need to push yourself to increase your fitness/endurance but don't go mad. Somedays just ride for the joy or riding. Somedays have a rest.

I think common consensus was to increase your distance/effort by 10% per week

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's November/December as well. The damp and lower temperature can take a toll, if you're out in it all afternoon.

You can help by eating well - on and off the bike.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Riding in wh ter is harder. When it cold you get slow and it's more tiring. The main issues is TOB or the lack of it. You not been cycling long so your "form" will yo yo more. Yhat fixes itself in time. Just keep riding and if you feel tired just go for an easy ride. Dont worry if you feel slow for a month either.form varies throughout the year but it will come back.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    “I did a few back to back 3 hour rides and though I completed them I felt like censored for a few days my sleep was all messed up, I felt agitated and had some anxiety.”

Not sure what you mean by censored, but getting agitated and feeling anxiety after a ride is not normal. I sometimes sleep badly (more badly than usual I mean) after a hard, hard ride due to that post exercise ‘buzz’ when I feel knackered but the cogs are just whirring in my head. Usually sorts itself by the next morning.

Perhaps you have other issues which are contributing - if it continues it’s probably worth seeking some professional help as cycling is really good for physical and mental health, but if it is causing you issues with your mental health then there must be some underlying problem.

All the best with it.

PP
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just pootle and enjoy this time of year. The benefits will kick in next march.
  • kingrollo said:

I'm starting to think this is the best option and I'm doing too much too early, Would you do any higher intensity this time of year or just steady endurance?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    this happens to the best of us old and new, amazingly your body is the best judge, listen to how you feel and go with it.

I just had a week off work and rode 500km mostly solo and as I felt each day no real objective other than time to enjoy just cycling again.

PS. it was almost all slower than my norm, but fun mostly!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707

kingrollo said:

I'm starting to think this is the best option and I'm doing too much too early, Would you do any higher intensity this time of year or just steady endurance?
    So many moons ago the tried and tested pro-cycling regime involved looong endurance rides over the winter and then adding higher intensity stuff as the weather got warmer.

That's now not how it's done and pro-riders do high intensity stuff all year around.

Bluntly, it's whatever you fancy, whatever you want your riding to be and how much time you have.

If you are time strapped, high intensity makes sense, etc. I wouldn't do anything that you didn't fancy doing however, especially in winter. It's a good job you're out on the bike at all tbh.

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Big hitters are on Zwift nowadays