MTB Commuter Bike Tyres

So my commuter bike was recently stolen! So that has left me with no bike to commute about on. I have got an Kinesis Maxlight FF29 MTB frame and some RS forks, so I’m going to start a project with this.
My question really is about tyre choice. It’s going to be mainly on road with the occasional gravel track when out with the kids. I’ve been looking at the Schwalbe Big Apple that Planet X are doing for £14.99 it’s a 29x2.0.
Should I go for these or are there better products out there.
PS I’m not spending a fortune on the bike as it’s basically a way to get to work.

Comments

• Yes I like them, they roll well grip well and are supple unlike a lot of commute tyres
  • I finally succombed to buying a pair of £5 each 50mm Schwalbe Century from PX on my order that arrived yesterday. They feel a lot heavier than my 29x2.35" G-One Speeds and I expect them to be noticeably slower, but it should mean I have the option of running a large volume tyre that will clear the rear Beavertail XL on my Voodoo commuter.

My Voodoo gets plenty of tyre swaps (plus the rare wheel change like currently while I get a spoke replaced, using the rear fat wheel and 26x4" Jumbo Jim, instread of the norm of two FatNotFat 29ers). Anything from "25mm" that are really ~27mm to 2.25", depending on the season and weather spells, for example this week I've been running a 38mm ice spike Gravdal up front with the 4" Jumbo Jim rear.

Recently I was running my 28mm 4 Seasons, the nicest set of tyres the Voodoo has seen in almost four years of owning, with a pair of old Vittoria latex tubes because they were all I had available at the time of fitting. They fly on tarmac and I'm sure they would cope with the odd light off-road meander.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284

I finally succombed to buying a pair of £5 each 50mm Schwalbe Century from PX on my order that arrived yesterday. They feel a lot heavier than my 29x2.35" G-One Speeds and I expect them to be noticeably slower, but it should mean I have the option of running a large volume tyre that will clear the rear Beavertail XL on my Voodoo commuter.

My Voodoo gets plenty of tyre swaps (plus the rare wheel change like currently while I get a spoke replaced, using the rear fat wheel and 26x4" Jumbo Jim, instread of the norm of two FatNotFat 29ers). Anything from "25mm" that are really ~27mm to 2.25", depending on the season and weather spells, for example this week I've been running a 38mm ice spike Gravdal up front with the 4" Jumbo Jim rear.

Recently I was running my 28mm 4 Seasons, the nicest set of tyres the Voodoo has seen in almost four years of owning, with a pair of old Vittoria latex tubes because they were all I had available at the time of fitting. They fly on tarmac and I'm sure they would cope with the odd light off-road meander.

This is great advice thanks for this.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I had some Schwalbe Smat Sams on my 29er. They had a nice close diamond pattern that ran down the centre of the tyre so had good rolling resisitance on the tarmac and reasonable grip on the cross country stuff I did. However, I believe they changed the design of them a while back so can't comment on the new version.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.