Photochromic glasses

Hi, after a real wet day on the bike today I’ve realised I need glasses with photochromic lenses . Anyone got any recommendations for large lense glasses that won’t break the bank. ?
I realise Oakley are probably the best but with my history of breaking glasses I’m loathe to spend out on these?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yellow lenses are best for crappy days.

You can get photochromic lenses for Oakley sunglasses from other manufacturers. Might not go as dark or as clear but they are cheaper.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited November 2019
    fenix said:

Yellow lenses are best for crappy days.

You can get photochromic lenses for Oakley sunglasses from other manufacturers. Might not go as dark or as clear but they are cheaper.

Neatly summing up why Oakleys are more expensive.
    Frames are just to hold the most important part, the lenses.
    But yes, yellow.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Nice thing about photochromics is that you don't have to think about it, just wear them....

I pretty much never wear anything else - perhaps at the height of summer I'll take some proper dark sunglasses but otherwise I'm on photochromics year round.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have some cheap ones from Decathlon. I wear them year round with no issues.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Oakley Radar EV Photochromics are pretty much perfect for UK riding. I reckon you'd have to try fairly hard to break them too.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    agree with mrb123. i use exactly that sense and frame whatever the uk weather, day or night as soon as the best bike goes away, until it comes out again. i tried the yellow lenses for vision enhancement in low light/ at night but car headlights can then be very bright.

in short, nothing else comes close, radar path ev in winter, radar path ev road prizm in summer ( prizm lenses are easier to scratch). i am hoping for the development of prizm photochromic one day.

Colnago Addict!
  • I love photochromic lenses as do everything. My first pair were Tifosi who do a huge range of them at reasonable prices. They dropped out of a back pocket in the Alps unfortunately. Current pair are Oakleys Flak which I got for a v reasonable £86 in a sale. These have lasted very well. Best value is still the Tifosis.
    Both makes cope well in all conditions.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    I have two pairs - Rudy Agons with mirror photochromics and Rudy Fotonyks with normal photochromics. Both of them have proved to be excellent, comfortable and with good clarity. Their prescription inserts are also excellent.