New CX wheels - Tubeless or Tubular?

After a few CX races this season, I'm hooked, so it's time to start thinking about a second set of race wheels.
Given i'll be building them myself, i'm totally flexible in their configuration but in my limited CX experience I've got a condundrum: Do I build tubeless or Tubular?
I know the older CX racers will say Tubular, and I do like the idea or running a tub in a CX race as a second pair as I guess it's not quite the hassle of running tubs on the road (change of tyre mid ride). However, I have been struggling to source CX tubulars online (Conti Limus) which means either they make a few and the CX'ers bought them all up, or CX tubular tyres are soon to be a think of the past.
Therefore, is a tubeless set up better than running clinchers for CX? Should I not read into the lack of CX tubulars available to buy and build them instead?
Any advice gratefully recieved.

Comments

• With tubeless and tu ular you get to run lower pressures for.more grip. Normal clinchers are pants as high need to use 40 to 50 psi which is too much.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I should add for tubeless the kinlin xr 22rts or 31rts give the most secure tubeless tyre fitting IE most burp resistant.
    For tubular the kinlin tb20 is your rim. Both are cheap and very good at what they do
    Dont be fooled I to thi king more expensive rims are better. For tubeless rims like stans they are worse as the tyre bumps more easily.

Mavic ust rims are the other tubeless alternative but simply cost more than the kinlin for doing the same job.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Is tubeless the future with regards to CX as I'm struggling to find decent tubular CX tyres. If I make a pair of tubular wheels am I limited to longevity?
  • Plenty of good cx tubulars, challange, dugast, fmb to name just three.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • With tubeless and tu ular you get to run lower pressures for.more grip. Normal clinchers are pants as high need to use 40 to 50 psi which is too much.

I can run lower than 40 to 50psi with a Challenge Open Tubular and latex tube. My last race was 19 front 21 rear with no problems. I'm 60 KG though so pretty light.
  • 20 psi really and no squirm. I'm only mid 80's kg and can use 30 psi in a 2.4 mtb tyre with tubes. On a set of 44mm tyres I have to use 40 psi.

With some 2.0" tubeless tyres i can use 20 psi but often i need a jot more to avoid squirm. When people say they can use 20 psi in a cx tyre they must be getting squirm and putting up with it. You will have squirm at those pressures. I hate any hint of tyre squirm and use pressure that avoid it.

The lowest I can run dugast 27mm tubular tyre is around 40 psi. Below that it does not feel right.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Should be plenty of tubs available online from Challenge, Dugast, FMB etc.

If you are going for one set of tubs, go for muds. It is in mud when you want the super low pressures, and that is where tubs come into their own. Go too low on tubeless and you can burp them.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com