Shocks for 1 1/8 straight steerer

Hi all,

I have a Voodoo Hoodoo with a 1 1/8 steerer. I'd like to get some new front forks for it, but finding it difficult as expected.

I see varied advice on getting tapered forks and a hope bottom cup, but ultimately it is all conflicting.

The local bike store said it was. It doable and YouTube videos say otherwise.

Can anyone help me source some good branded front forks and a bottom cup to make this work?

Ideally something like rock shox, fox , manitou etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• What is your budget? What wheel size, axle and length of travel are you looking for?

There are still straight steerer forks around, if you do a bit of googling. Back in 2017 I bought a straight steerer Rockshox Reba easily enough. A quick google has brought up a Rockshox Recon, but it depends what you’re looking for.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Don't be a brand snob, SR suntour air forks are very good value, (not to be confused with the X** forks fitted to a lot of bikes to keep costs down.
    I'd be looking at Raidon or Epixon, epixon being one model higher and slightly more expensive.

They are available in both straight steer or tapered options.
    https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Also check your head tube, if it's straight 44mm, then you can fit any fork with the correct headset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hoodoo uses a zero stack headset (ZS44), that means you can use an external lower headset (EC44) to use a tapered fork.

That said decent use straight steerer forks come up on Pinkbike, STW and Evilbay.

So either get a decent used fork, or a tapered fork which will be more useable going forward (worth more or move to another bike).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks you all. So using an EC44 lower headset means what size tapered forks are open to me?

Wheel size is 27.5, axle is non boost so 100mm I believe and travel around 120mm.

Open to recommendations on what lower headset part and forks I could get.

Many thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A standard tapered fork of 1 1/2" lower and 1 1/8" upper.
    Headset
    https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b210s423p71299/M-Part_Elite_headset_lower_EC44_40/RS_GB/169823
    Fork wise
    Suntour Epixon or a Rockshox Reba.

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.