TREK MARLIN 5 29ER 2020 VS SPECIALIZED PITCH 650B 2020

PLEASE HELP. WHICH OF THESE HAS THE BETTER COMPONENTS AND IS THE OVERALL BETTR OPTION TO GO FOR. GETTING BACK INTO RIDING AND I WANNA MAKE SURE I'M GETTING THE BEST AMOUNT OF BIKE FOR MY MONEY.

SPECIALIZED - https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-pitch-650b-2020-mountain-bike-EV366595

TREK - https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-marlin-5-2020-mountain-bike-EV369253

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    They are both basically the same and both have a really rubbish fork.
    For an extra 50 this is better
    https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1454250&storeId=10001
  • declangeiran94
    declangeiran94 Posts: 16
    edited November 2019
    400 is my max for the time being. It's only going to be used for riding to work and back. Not really into carreras if i'm honest & if you side by side look at the specs there's loads of differences...?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the bike is only for riding to work why are you looking at models with suspension forks? At that price point the suspension fork will be heavy and practically useless.
    For commuting a rigid bike will offer better value for money for your budget. You can get a decent hybrid for £400.
    The Pinnacle Lithium 3 is on sale at Evans for £380, the Voodoo Marasa is £360 from Halfords and the Carrerra Subway 2 is £10 less.
    The Calibre Stitch Urban from Go Outdoors looks great spec for £360.
    At your price point the smaller manufacturers offer better value than the big name brands like Specialized and Giant.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Because i'm not never going to XC with it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Was the double negative deliberate meaning you will be riding XC, or accidental and you won't be riding XC despite saying you would?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA

It's only going to be used for riding to work and back.

Your words, declangeiran94.

What exactly do you want the bike for?

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Bro i ain't looking to play quote me on this, grammar police or 20 questions or to be given a list of bikes to choose from i just want some info on those 2 bikes man jheez imagine if someone just answered my question :lol:
  • and it was deliberate.. yes, i will mainly be using it to ride to and from work. But then again one day i might decide to take it off the roads and go in the forests with it hence why im stuck between those 2 bikes.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    A Calibre Two Cubed is the much better bike than the two you have looked at for £400. The geometry is better and so are all the parts.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • declangeiran94
    declangeiran94 Posts: 16
    edited November 2019
    i actually really like that Kona. I would've bought that one if it didn't say "fire mountain" everywhere on it >.< makes it look well tacky IMO, real nice though. I was looking at them btwins when i first decided i wanted to ride to work as there's a decathlon right by my house. They just don't do it for me looks wise though :L & that kona won't be on offer when it comes time for me to purchase anyway i'm guessing
  • The Trek marlin 5 2020 can't be that bad surely :L?
  • mattyfez

The Trek marlin 5 2020 can't be that bad surely :L?

It's got a really crap front fork. You may as well have a rigid fork.

As others have suggested, big brands like trek and specialized cut loads of corners on thier budget models, so you're just buying a badge really.
    And they cut corners on the forks first, they just add weight and don't work very well.

• mattyfez
    To answer your question directly, both bikes you selected are not very good value for money. There are better options as suggested above.
  • mattyfez
    edited November 2019
    That Kona looks like a good buy if you can snag it for £400
    I belive the XCR fork on that will be an air fork, as opposed to a cheaper coil fork,
    Suntour have trickled down the spec on the newer XCR, so it should be reasonably decent.

Sr Suntour have kind of a bad rep as a lot of manufacturers fit their rubbish low end coil forks to nice looking bikes for people who want a suspension fork.

The Raidon used to be thier cheapest air fork so look carefully at the specification, as XCR now is an air fork depending on spec/model
  • yeah that kona is an absolute steal but i'm looking to buy in the first week of the new year so there's no way that'll still be that price
  • The Rookie
    No way? Or just guessing.

Come back after Christmas and we can look at what offers are on.

The latest XCR is basically a 2017 Raidon, you'd be looking at circa £150 for the fork alone.

the XCE fork on those other 2 is aweful, the XCT used to be the lowest in the range of 'almost good enough' forks but the XCE has come in below that, it really is junk and a quality rigid fork would be a much better ride, lighter and more predictable and once the XCE seizes (XCT do it quite often) just as forgiving.
  • im gonna guess no way as it's a black friday deal :( hopefully january sales will help me out lol
  • JBA

Bro i ain't looking to play quote me on this, grammar police or 20 questions or to be given a list of bikes to choose from i just want some info on those 2 bikes man jheez imagine if someone just answered my question :lol:

I was trying to be helpful, but obviously that isn't wanted. So in answer to your original post the Specialized is the better equipped of the two poor value bikes.

• Nah you're good bro! any and all help/advice is being listened too. I don't think i'm gonna go for either of them after speaking with you lot. Thinking my best bet is to wait until the first week of january and have a mooch around the Jan sales ?
  • https://www.cyclerepublic.com/orbea-mx-50-27-5-mens-hardtail-mountain-bike-2020.html just found this which i like but i'm not gonna lie i've never even heard of the brand before ???
  • mattyfez
    edited November 2019
    Orbea is a well established brand, but again that model has those XCE forks.

Edit: they also weigh in at a hefty 2.6kg.