The Murder Rainbow

I did post this before over in the commuting forum, but that subforum is a little dead. Hopefully the forum won't misplace the post for a whole day this time...

Ever since seeing the anodized aluminium spokes that Industry Nine make, I've wanted some. After completely failing to find any practical reason to buy new wheels, I decided to get some anyway, and build a whole new bike around them. I couldn't decide which colour spokes to get, so I got all of them. The rest of the bike is matte black, to reduce the risk of eye damage to innocent bystanders.

I9 make two similar wheelsets - the GRCX TRA and AR25 TRA. I went for the AR25 as they have deeper rims, and so should be slightly stiffer. That seemed like a good idea since I'm not entirely convinced that aluminium spokes will stand up to road use long-term because of fatigue, which stiffer rims will alleviate a little.

The frame is a VeloBuild GF-001. It's sold as a "gravel" frame, but has the sort of features that make it good for a commuter - generous tyre clearance, mudguard and rack eyelets, and built a bit more heavily than a "road" carbon frame. The one thing I don't like about it is that it has an aero seatpost, which means it will be difficult or impossible to find a replacement if I ever need one.

I got Hope RX4 brakes because they are available in colours to match the wheels, and they are just good brakes.

Rear dérailleur and levers are Shimano GRX, as I wanted to try 1x and a clutch dérailleur. 46 x 11-36t gives me almost the same range as my other bike with a double 36/50 x 12-30t. With the clutch and a narrow-wide chainring, the chance of a dropped chain is hopefully about 0. It's worked pretty well so far, with no chain-slap even when I have had to go off-road a few times due to roadworks making my usual route impassable.

The mudguards are carbon fibre, made by Velo Duo. CF is an excellent material for mudguards; I would guess that the only reason there aren't more made from it is that the people who buy carbon fibre parts tend not to be the type who use mudguards.

Comments

• I like the colours. Be interesting to see how the spokes hold up on salty wet roads over there.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I expect it to be ok with salt. The rims, spokes and hubs are all aluminium, so there won't be any galvanic corrosion like you can get quite badly with stainless spokes in aluminium nipples.

p.s. the links in your signature are all 404.
  • Ah ta for the heads up. Cleared up some old photo hosting stuff a while ago, forgot about those links.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS