Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Is it ok to remove the pie plate on my bike?

I believe that's what it's known as a pie plate the plastic cicrcular disc that sits behind the cassette,it looks naff,but would it be ok to remove it,I'm wondering if other people remove theirs?Any advice please
My mountain bike is only used for town cycling

• david7mdavid7m Posts: 636
    Dork disc :)
    Yep, bail it out.
  • david7m said:

Dork disc :)
    Yep, bail it out.

Thanks,I will remove it
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,868
    Yep it's called a dork ring, some insist on leaving it on but personally I remove them on my bike's.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,139
    Also, get rid of the cheap composition pedals that came with the bike. They are slippy when wet and your feet will come off them. :(

Instead get some flat pedals. These are the cheapest decent ones I could find. If you get them today they will be delivered free for £11.99, instead of £17.99 + £2.95 delivery. Wear them with a soft soled shoe.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.DMR-V6-Plastic-Pedals_77540.htm?sku=248294&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAws7uBRAkEiwAMlbZjraGmVsKohRhTkqJu-qBz1trJTphES3w4bSVxNLwlqAZqWzCxbnsMBoCakoQAvD_BwE#

You are of course free to spend as much as you like on pedals, well over £100 if you so wish.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Before you do - make sure your gears are working and you're not going to put the mech into the spokes.

TBH if its just for around town - I'd leave it on. You never know when your mech may take a hit and get bent enough to go into the spokes. It's not an expensive bike ?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,264
    Oh no. not anther Dork disc question...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mattyfezmattyfez Posts: 638
    edited November 2019
    A pie tray won't prevent your mech hitting your spokes in the event of an accident.

It's only there for if your chain drops off your largest sprocket on the cassette into the wheel from over shifting.

Which is impossible if your h/L screws on the mech are set properly.

Get rid or keep it, it doesn't make much difference but it looks better without, and then you have a handy dish to put a pork pie on.

Personally I remove it.