Bottom Bracket Creaking

Am I right in thinking that my 2015 Trek Superfly 9.6 will have BB95 bottom bracket bearings? I ask because I'm looking to buy an appropriately sized bearing press so that I can refit them after cleaning and hopefully get rid of the creaking sound that's developed around that region...

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    A quick Google search says yes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that. What were your specific search terms, out of interest?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just go to a retailer listing and check the specs
    https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-superfly-9-6-2015-mountain-bike-EV216983
    Evans spec listing's are always pretty good.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for that, I'll remember it in future. You would have thought that you'd get a comprehensive list of specs from the Trek website, but evidently not...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    From the Trek website. ;)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    JBA said:

From the Trek website. ;)

Noting that the BB is 'hidden' in the frame description, not ideal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Personally I just pay my LBS to check / fit BB bearings, saves me investing in a special tool and risk making a mess of it.

Also, the last few "BB creaks" I've had turned out to be something else entirely, one was the headset bearings, another was the spokes rubbing (remedied with an application of WD40 where they touch). I've also had a creaky saddle but that was easier to diagnose just by twisting the siddle in my hands.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    I was getting creaks from my BB (BB30) even with new bearings.
    I reinstalled with some bearing fit compound and the creaking has stopped.
    The bearing fit makes sure there's no gaps around the bearing so it can move about and creak. Grease should also work but might wash out depending on the type.
  • Mines bb89/92. I used a xt bottom bracket mine could be before 2015 though. 2015 is a fair while ago. The current spec for th bb shell is different than it was 4 years ago probably.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk