Spending money on an old frame

I have a 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe in very good condition - but the components are outdated. I am uncertain if spending money to get this frame rideable is worth while and could use people's thoughts. So the options are:

1. Save and get a new bike
2. At a bare minimum I am going to need to spend around £560 to replace the brake system, get new tyres, replace the handlebars and stem, get new pedals, service the shocks etc
3. Replace the entire groupset with slx, plus the other bits mentioned in point 2 - cost around £900.

Now the bike frame is in very good condition but it us outdated - only has 110mm front shock, no capacity for internal wiring if I want to get a dropper, and has old geometry.

My gut is telling me to save my money and get a new bike next year, but I would be very grateful for some other opinions.

Regards,
Luke

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want to do it up, I'd be buying decent used parts from classifieds, Facebook and evilbay, buying new parts would be crazy.

In which case it could be done for a lot less!

I've got a 2009 Cobia running more modern brakes, cranks and 1x10 gearing, works just fine as XC bikes really haven't changed that much in 10 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd done something similar.

I've got a 2006 Stumpjumper HT with 90mm forks, older geometry etc. I did do a complete refit 4 years ago with new cranks, gears, brakes, wheels etc and it served me well but was always a bit limite din what it could do. Great for XC and climbing but after a trip to BPW and Cwncarn, I realised it was a bit out of it's depth.

I now have a 140mm FS enduro bike as well that does the harder stuff but I still love using my HT for local loops and winter riding when I'm on tarmac a bit more.

Due to the older geometry on the HT (and the fact that is felt a bit small as a medium) I've recently bought a size large Brand X HT frame from CRC for £80. I swapped most bits over. As it's 650B and I put my 26" wheels on it, I got some new 140mm forks, added a dropper and it's really good! I just love it. Longer, slacker, more travel. More or less the same geometry as my FS but just a rigid back end.

Would I upgrade your bike? No.

I'd save up and get a half decent FS for c.£1200 (or more if you want). Mainly due to the outdated geometry and costs that you've highlighted to get yours up and running again.

There are some good deals at the moment as the 2019 models are being sold off. You could probably get a £1500 bike for £1200.

Having a longer/slacker bike with more travel has really benefitted me.

"Ride, crash, replace"