Swift Cycles is closing

Just got an email saying they're closing. I think it's a massive shame, I always thought they were a very good indie shop. There was quite a lot of flux there in the last year. I think Mosquito Bikes moved in. I know they wanted to just focus on high end etc etc. In their email they allude to another bike shop opening on the site. I hope they do but appreciate the economics for indies are a nightmare.

Comments

• Is this Swift Cycles on Strype Street in London you mean?
    Nothing about this on their website...
  • wahla21 said:

Is this Swift Cycles on Strype Street in London you mean?
    Nothing about this on their website...

Yes that's the one. I got an email from them yesterday.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Shame, this was a good store and always very helpful.
  • Damn! I just bought a bike off them!
  • schlepper
    schlepper Posts: 29
    edited November 2019
    wahla21 said:

Damn! I just bought a bike off them!

Ouch, that's difficult. I'd been planning to, will have to look elsewhere.
    redvision said:

Shame, this was a good store and always very helpful.

Totally agree. Plus there was a decent mini hub around there with them, Rapha and Cafe du Cycliste.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Agree I thought they were one of the best bike shops for service. Unfortunately not where I live, so I could only buy small things in lunch breaks.
  • Like a phoenix etc it seems that they have come back in a slightly different guise of Strype Street Cycles. They're still unpacking with full opening in early January, but it looks like a similar team, but different owners. Focus remains bike fits and high end bikes Colnago, Factor, Focus, Argon18, BMC etc. Not sure what brands for clothes, they were pretty light on that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited January 2020
    schlepper said:

They're still unpacking with full opening in early January, but it looks like a similar team, but different owners. Focus remains bike fits and high end bikes Colnago, Factor, Focus, Argon18, BMC etc.

"The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results..."

If that business model failed last time, what makes them think it will succeed this time?

• Not a clue. Maybe the previous owners got cold feet and decided they wanted out. I wonder if the closing of Swift had something to do with Mosquito acquisition they did in 2018 - some sort of disagreement / falling out / ran out of capital. All of that is speculation on my part. Instinctively it feels as though London can support another high end bike shop and it's a fairly decent location. Crucial they get their web site sorted, the Swift one was appalling - never the right stock, prices etc.

• "The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results..."

If that business model failed last time, what makes them think it will succeed this time?

I might be able to offer some insights... ;-)

You are dead right - doing the same thing again would almost certainly have a very similar outcome.

SSC is founded by the operational team that made Swift so good, sans the original owner of Swift. A management takeover if you will.

I won't share our entire strategic plan on a forum, but suffice to say there are a number of significant differences between Swift and SSC, both in terms of the products and brands we represent, the services we offer and brand partnerships (such as Factor bikes).

There are no guarantees, it will be a slog and ultimately there is a chance we'll fail, but we all love what we do and are taking the educated gamble that there is still space for good retailers to flourish.

Happy to answer any specific questions, but otherwise hope to see you in the store soon.

We are open for workshop, bike fitting and bikes sales now (all bookings can be done online) and if you could just bear with us for a week or two while we get the smaller bits and pieces into stock.

Cheers,

Si
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297

There are no guarantees, it will be a slog and ultimately there is a chance we'll fail, but we all love what we do and are taking the educated gamble that there is still space for good retailers to flourish.

Good luck, I hope it works out well for you all.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

"The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results..."

You are dead right - doing the same thing again would almost certainly have a very similar outcome.

SSC is founded by the operational team that made Swift so good, sans the original owner of Swift. A management takeover if you will.

I won't share our entire strategic plan on a forum, but suffice to say there are a number of significant differences between Swift and SSC, both in terms of the products and brands we represent, the services we offer and brand partnerships (such as Factor bikes).

Happy to answer any specific questions, but otherwise hope to see you in the store soon.

We are open for workshop, bike fitting and bikes sales now (all bookings can be done online) and if you could just bear with us for a week or two while we get the smaller bits and pieces into stock.

Cheers,

Si
    Best of luck and kudos for answering on the forum.
  • imposter2.0

Cheers,

Si
    Fair enough and top marks for engaging. I hope you succeed.

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Cheers,

Si
    Best of luck.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Many thanks for replying on here and good luck with it.
  • Thanks to all for your good wishes. Now, if you could just come in and buy a bike..... ;-)
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Good luck. I'm afraid I don't work in the area any more (now work near home outside of London), so won't get to experience your good service.
  • imposter2.0
    Likewise. It's a 500 mile round trip for me, so I can't promise anything ;)