Reflector / Reflective Tape on Mudguards

Just fitted a pair of SKS bluemels (Matt Black) to the winter bike/commuter. The mudguards don't come with a fitted reflector... Should I go to the effort of fitting on a reflector or sticking on some reflective tape/stickers.

I generally have two rear lights fitted.

I'm I over thinking it !!!

TIA

Comments

• mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    If you're worried that you might not be visible enough without reflectors, then don't be. While reflectors might make you easier to see, being easier to see doesn't actually make you any safer.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It’s an easy job to fit a BS approved reflector to Bluemels mudguards - and, strictly speaking, a rear reflector is a legal requirement when riding at night. Front and pedal reflectors are also legally required although I don’t use them, along with most other riders, I suspect. I bodge a hole in the mudguard with the awl from my Swiss Army penknife and a rear reflector attaches easily with a captive bolt through the hole and a small nut on the inside of the guard. My experience from driving behind cyclists at night is that a rear reflector is highly effective at getting a rider noticed. Well worth it for extra peace of mind.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    I have reflective tape on my mudguard, it cost about a pound and took 10 seconds to fit. If it's no benefit then I don't think I've wasted much time/money..
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    oxoman said:

I've done it in the past but no longer bother, I use spoke straws reflective rods that clip on the spokes. A block of 5 will light up the whole wheel when turning with car lights on it.

This. Makes me feel like I'm riding a light bike from Tron. Veronese68 has driven past me in Kingston and can vouch for their effectiveness.

Overtook a chap tonight who had a red light on his bag, one on his seat post, one on his helmet and one on his right knee. That's a new one on me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got some HGV reflective tape on my rear guard and mudflap, bit akward to fit on the guard cause of the curve, the mudflap was easier cause it's flat.
    This is the stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Diamond-Grade-ECE-104-Conspicuity-Reflective-Tape-HGV-Truck-Trailer/131788514417?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680

...strictly speaking, a rear reflector is a legal requirement when riding at night. Front and pedal reflectors are also legally required although I don’t use them, along with most other riders, I suspect.

As far as I understand it, at night you need a front (white) and rear (red) light, rear (red) reflector and front-and-rear-facing (amber) reflectors on the pedals. There is no requirement for a front (white) reflector.

But as you said, who does? Actually I am probably in the minority of having the clip-in reflectors on one side of the SPDs of my winter road bike. I don't have a rear reflector though - I may consider some retroreflective tape on the rear guard - I've just remembered I have a bit of left-over red motorcycle rim tape that is retro-reflective.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    I bought a sheet of red reflector stickers to stick on my rear mudguard off ebay. Cost a couple of quid. It's there for when I'm either caught out riding without rear lights or if the battery goes on them.
    These aren't the ones I have, but same sort of thing.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Decal-Reflector-Tape-Door-Bumper-Stickers-Car-Reflective-Strips-Warning-Mark/401885054959?var=671724669483&hash=item5d923747ef:g:R8AAAOSwHuldfY~2
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As has been said - reflective tape costs buttons and will always be there and work so long as headlights are pointing at you.

Better still to put the reflective on moving bits. Pedals. Cranks. Feet. Legs. You can tell a cyclist a mile off from the movements.

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    figbat said:

...strictly speaking, a rear reflector is a legal requirement when riding at night. Front and pedal reflectors are also legally required although I don’t use them, along with most other riders, I suspect.

As far as I understand it, at night you need a front (white) and rear (red) light, rear (red) reflector and front-and-rear-facing (amber) reflectors on the pedals. There is no requirement for a front (white) reflector.

But as you said, who does? Actually I am probably in the minority of having the clip-in reflectors on one side of the SPDs of my winter road bike. I don't have a rear reflector though - I may consider some retroreflective tape on the rear guard - I've just remembered I have a bit of left-over red motorcycle rim tape that is retro-reflective.
    Figbat is right. I’ve just checked and see you are not legally required to have a front white reflector.

That 3M reflective tape mentioned by redvee looks like it might be very effective. Although, as I said earlier, it’s only a short and simple job to fit an approved reflector to chromoplastic mudguards.

I wonder what your legal position is if you are in a collision with a motor vehicle at night and you don’t have the approved rear and pedal reflectors. Could a lawyer claim you were guilty of contributory negligence?
  • figbat said:

Figbat is right. I’ve just checked and see you are not legally required to have a front white reflector.

That 3M reflective tape mentioned by redvee looks like it might be very effective. Although, as I said earlier, it’s only a short and simple job to fit an approved reflector to chromoplastic mudguards.

I wonder what your legal position is if you are in a collision with a motor vehicle at night and you don’t have the approved rear and pedal reflectors. Could a lawyer claim you were guilty of contributory negligence?
    You can be sure their lawyer will be looking for any way to mitigate their clients actions, and so will the driver's insurance company to reduce any payout. Contributory negligence..
    I have B&M toplight rear lights on my commuters and these incorporate a reflector but run m520 spd pedals and there's no effective way to run pedal reflectors other than fitting the SM-PD22 insert which makes the pedal single sided - not ideal.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

Yes, in civil law, i recall there is case history around this, but I can't remember where I saw that.

I'd suggest getting a combined mudguard mounted rear light & reflector - I've got a PDW fenderbot on my pub hack which I love the simplicity of. There's a more "modern" version here:
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/busch-muller-secula-rear-light-mudguard-fitting/.

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    reflective tape - yes - no reason not to.

What makes you seen is lights & reflectives
    What makes you noticed is something different (to everyone else).

I know that come december - assuming I do it again - the christmas lights on my bike will guarantee a wider berth from the majority of drivers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have 3M Diamond tape as a disc on the back of the mudguard and as a strip on the back of the seatpost (dark country lane commute), work colleagues who pass me have commented on how effective it is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I'm surprised there hasn't been any progress made on the pedal reflector issue given the fact that almost no clipless pedals can take reflectors. Either the law needs to be reviewed or some product design needs to be implemented. It's a daft situation.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • fenix
    I think there's probably a lot of laws that need revising before the weighty issue of pedal reflectors is sorted out.

But if you're out after dark - get some reflectives on your lower legs or shoes - they do show up fantastically.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    My shoes and overshoes all have reflectors. The law should be modified to accommodate and be made compulsory.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

My shoes and overshoes all have reflectors. The law should be modified to accommodate and be made compulsory.

The law should be that we all wear your shoes and overshoes? ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    edited November 2019
    You should be so lucky as to walk in my shoes. :D
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    you can get reflective numbers that are designed to be stuck onto wheelie bins pretty cheaply - i've used these before and they are surprisingly good, designed to stick on things that live outdoors so good in all weathers and very reflective

0s give you the best shape/surface are to price ratio in my opinion :)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • oxoman said:

A lot of the cycling law hasn't been altered for decades. By rights we should have solid lit front and rear lights of about 1/2 a candle power. No flashy lights that you can actually see or dayglo reflectives. Even if flat pedals had the reflectors on them a lot of normal shows with heels etc cover them so pretty much useless. Decent lights should be compulsory at night, not as local amazon employess do near me which is commute in black with no lights and occasionally a dirty Hi viz vest if I'm lucky.

And those of us who use rear panniers - these almost totally obscure pedals/reflectors apart from the very base of the pedal stroke.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Having followed a couple of riders last night - both had rear lights (flashing) but one was far more visible than the other - because of the reflective clothing he was wearing - the other had a few small patches that reflected - but otherwise was dark and much harder to see - and I knew he was there (we were on the same club ride! ;) )
  • fenix
    I've spotted cyclists with no lights on unlit dual carriageways at night thanks only to them having a cheap bike with pedals with reflectors on. Thank god.

But how cheap do you value your life to not fit a light ? Crazy.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    oxoman said:

A lot of the cycling law hasn't been altered for decades. By rights we should have solid lit front and rear lights of about 1/2 a candle power. No flashy lights that you can actually see or dayglo reflectives. Even if flat pedals had the reflectors on them a lot of normal shows with heels etc cover them so pretty much useless. Decent lights should be compulsory at night, not as local amazon employess do near me which is commute in black with no lights and occasionally a dirty Hi viz vest if I'm lucky.

That's wrong. You can legally use flashing lights, provided it flashes between 60 and 240 times per minute (1 – 4Hz), as long as it doesn't also provide a steady light mode - cos then it would have to comply to BS6102/3 , and you can't buy a BS6102/3 light anywhere anymore.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I know a lot of the Exposure lights have a pulse mode rather than flashing e.g. they are never off between pulses, but rather alternate between dim and bright.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Providing they don't fall to bits and are reflective, something like https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCAPRKRTC/carnac-parky-reflective-toe-cover could be a great bit of extra visibility kit from the front and side, moving relective parts ought to make you more visible.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo