Computer - Top Cap Mount

Thinking about getting a Top Cap Mount for my sons bike - not a lot of space on the bars themselves and being a smaller bike, the bars are smaller diameter - so contemplating the top cap mount ... any reason why not?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Do you ever turn the bike upside down onto the ground? (To remove wheels for example).
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No - I'm a roadie!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    OK, I was led astray by your post being in the "MTB Buying Advice "section. :)
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    No room on the stem?
    The only reasons I can think of not to use the top cap are:
    - you need a new top cap
    - it adds to the faff of preloading the headset on the rare occasions you need to
    - the upside-down thing
    - gives you something else to hurt yourself on if/when you go OTB (I have a rigidly-fixed light mount on my MTB which left a lasting impression on my sternum when I chested the bars)
    - it puts the computer just a little bit further away from the optimum view-point

Just being picky really - I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • mikecassie
    mikecassie Posts: 39
    edited November 2019
    K Edge make a nice one, I use one on my Bokeh. Go for it.
  • slowbike
    thanks chaps ...
    I asked in the MTB section as it's my sons bike and he uses it for everything - including MTB (although there may be an N+1 soon) - I'm happy with the road stuff as I'm a roadie ... so it was specifically any reason from a MTB point of view that it shouldn't be there.
    No room on the stem because it's a 20" bike ... he's in reception class ... can't do an out front mount because the handlebars have a small diameter and he has a bar bag. Stem isn't long enough - make it any longer and it affects his fit.
    He doesn't really use the garmin - it has to be on and on maps - because that's where he wants it - I do hit start and stop for him and upload his rides ... just for interest :)

I didn't know they did top cap mounts - seemed quite sensible for the space limited bike - don't want too much clutter up there. I suppose my only concern is vulnerability if he takes a tumble (when!)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I have been riding with one for ages (Nukeproof for Garmins).... I lead School MTB Club rides so it's useful for pacing and timekeeping, and I've used the mapping when exploring. Works just fine.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • slowbike
    ta - I think we'll get a couple ... :)

and we'll have a nose at the links in your signature too :)