Winter Tubeless Tyres

2»

Comments

• Well this is my 4th year on road tubeless tyres. Maybe 70000km so far. Theres nothing to be afraid off.

although you seem to slash one every month or so... :#
    left the forum March 2023
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited December 2019
    That's an exaggeration. I have only had three small punctures in the last 6 months all plugable (if I ignore that one ride with a schwalbe pro one which is not my usual tyre it was a stop gap tyre for one commute and was a mistake). I wore the last tyres IRc roadlite and maxxis padrone) out my wet bike. In the past 12 months I have had only 3 side wall cuts. Believe me that good. I used to get at least that with continental gp series tyres not to mention plenty of pinch flats and blowouts.

The Vittoria corsa controls are coming off only because they appear to porous. That a dodgey pair of tyres not a problem with the tubeless concept. It might be a problem with the model. Time will tell. I still got home though. I had bigger problems yesterday a self distructing Royce hub.

My puncture rate when I used tubes was one every 500km at best. If I did not switch to tubeless tyres I would have had to start using schwalbe marathons.

My overal puncture rate is lower with tubeless and I dont worry about being stranded anymore.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • only 3 sidewall cuts... :D

I'm thinking hard if I ever had a sidewall cut... probably not
  • What happened to your Royce hub Malc?
  • only 3 sidewall cuts... :D

I'm thinking hard if I ever had a sidewall cut... probably not

Had so many with tubed tyres too. I once got 30km from a pair of conti gp 4 seasonsbefore I holed them. If you want to find out how long tyres last give em to me and I will tell very quickly.

Actually only 3 sidewall slashes is good going. I have done more. A clu run ride where I used my 4 tubes and used some of friends had to be abandoned after the 5 or 6 puncture on 4 seasons (not old either)due to a side wall failure. I had to make the call of shame on that. In fact with tubes I had to make the call of shame more than once with tyre not much more than 1000km of use. Rubbish that and that's what switched me to tubeless.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • thecycleclinic
    edited December 2019

What happened to your Royce hub Malc?

Not sure. It been fine since I replaced the freehub bearings in and the pawl springs (500km of use) week ago but the freehub started to bind and the bike became a defacto fixed gear because the pawl springs disintegrated,damaging the pawls, one of the bearings and the freehub it self. In fact since I replaced (after pbp) the freehub bearings ,seal pawl springs, pawls, freehub bearing spacer.. you know trigger broom, the freehub has never been right. Since then I have go e through 4 sets of freehub bearings. So it gone back to cliff. he needs to measure bearing seats and the like. I suspect one or more bearings no longer sits square causing the short bearing life, collapsed bearings and freehub binding issues. It was a nearly the call of shame. As I managed to get to the shop just I put in a spare wheel and everything is fine again. That Vittoria tyre stopped leaking air today too. Nearly got killed on that ride by some pillock overtaking and pulling in just before they wiped me out. In fact thats the second time this month I have nearly been wiped out/near death experience by dangerous driving.

At least I only got home late. So a sidewall cut is really nothing.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Tubeless tyres suck; don't believe the hype if you live in an area with flint, I defy anyone to fix some of the sidewall slices with plugs. You'll be at the road side for miles longer, trying to get them off and on rims with cold bleeding hands. And your club mates will hate you for it. other people of course can fix anything and never have a problem and some of them probably believe in the tooth fairy too.
  • Tubeless tyres suck; don't believe the hype if you live in an area with flint, I defy anyone to fix some of the sidewall slices with plugs. You'll be at the road side for miles longer, trying to get them off and on rims with cold bleeding hands. And your club mates will hate you for it. other people of course can fix anything and never have a problem and some of them probably believe in the tooth fairy too.

There is some truth...
    The thing is, they can of course be fixed at the side of the road... if you know how... and you only know how if you've done it before. When are you going to practice?
    If you already have a set of skills, like changing an inner tube, then you can rely on those skills when you need them. If you've never inserted a "worm", then when are you going to learn? Unless you deliberately slice an old tyre to have a go at the process in the garage, until you are confident, I don't see it being a viable emergency plan.
  • Tubeless worms are really straight forward, i didn't need any kind of special training before using one out on the road.
    All in all a repair using one is quicker than changing a tube.
  • Tubeless worms are really straight forward, i didn't need any kind of special training before using one out on the road.
    All in all a repair using one is quicker than changing a tube.

You might be right, but the question is whether I would trust myself having to do something that I have never done before whilst in the middle of nowhere... and as we are talking winter, then maybe even in the dark and with cold hands.

I used tubelss for 3 years... I never had to "repair" a tyre on the road... my plan B was an inner tube, although I was very aware than fitting one would have been a battle. A couple of times I got home on a soft rear tyre, rather than attempt the fix.
    For long audax rides my plan B was a clincher tyre + tube folded in my seat pack... needless to say it took up a lot of space, a lot more than the 3 inner tubes + Park patch I use now that I am back on clinchers
  • Funnily enough, just the other day I got a puncture on a Gravelking and forgot to bring my worms so in went a tube. I was surprised how easily I got the tube in there and the tyre back on with my hands. It was messy though with the sealant.

I got 3 punctures on a short ride on these tyres, the Gravelkings are going in the bin.
    I feel the file tread pattern traps flints and allows them to work their way into the tyre. It's the same kind of tread that Corsa's have and they always seem to get punctures.
  • thecycleclinic
    edited December 2019
    I have fixed and so have customers sidewall cuts with plugs. It not a long term fix but get you some where. Three sidewall cuts two big enough to fit my thumb through where plug and the tyre inflated. One of those cuts was double to one a big hole and a second little hole for food measure. The third was a pinch flat hole in a 300km audax. I was near home so I plugged it detoured home changed the wheel and still finished in good time.

It is more than possible.

I ride in Suffolk lots of flint here. That why tubes give me no end of grief. While I dont care if people use tubes or not I dont like dissing a whole technology which is as reliable if not more than inner tubes. Those that puncture infrequently dont understand but those like me that are simply plagued by them find tubeless allows me to wear out tyres rather than bin them 1/2 there way through there life which was the norm when using many clinchers.

None is forced to use to use tubeless tyres so folk get so wound up by it is beyond me.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I got a puncture during pbp after 900km. I was tired and my hand was losing strength. Fitting a plug was easy, I dont think I had the strength to fit a tube to the easiest of tyres. I probably would have managed but it could have taken a while. Tubeless has its merits.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Ugo it's more a question of aptitude than learning. Some people cant learn new tricks. You know the sort, I been cycling for xx years but cant get this tyre on this tubeless ready rim. They cant insert a plug and shouldn't and stick to tubes . However there are many who can even if they have never done it before because they have the mindset to work it out.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I got a pair of Pirelli Cinturato Velos summer 2019 and I had been delighted with their puncture resistance compared to the Mavic Yksion’s which punctured if they even saw a piece of flint.

Unfortunately my rear tyre now seems to be delaminating where the tread and sidewall joins, there are multiple bubbles and bulges along one side of the rear tyre, the other side and the front tyre appear to be fine.

Has anyone else seen this mode of failure of a Cinturato, or any other tyre?

• thecycleclinic
    edited February 2020
    It can and does happen to various tubeless tyres although i have mostly seen it on Hutchinson made tyres. It's not actually a safety issue either. The thread rubber has just bubbled up. The casing will be intact.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Ugo it's more a question of aptitude than learning. Some people cant learn new tricks. You know the sort, I been cycling for xx years but cant get this tyre on this tubeless ready rim. They cant insert a plug and shouldn't and stick to tubes . However there are many who can even if they have never done it before because they have the mindset to work it out.

... a bit like yesterday then... >:)
  • It can and does happen to various tubeless tyres although i have mostly seen it on Hutchinson made tyres. It's not actually a safety issue either. The thread rubber has just bubbled up. The casing will be intact.

Despite your assurances I’m not sure I’d like to ride with those carbuncles on my tyre! I took the tyre off and cut through it, to my surprise the tread-section was separate to the underlying carcass (so there was a void between the two which opened like an envelope), the bubbles and bulges all occur where the tread and inner carcass join. I’ve emailed Pirelli, but I’m not expecting a reply....
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    s_j_pwmb said:

It can and does happen to various tubeless tyres although i have mostly seen it on Hutchinson made tyres. It's not actually a safety issue either. The thread rubber has just bubbled up. The casing will be intact.

Despite your assurances I’m not sure I’d like to ride with those carbuncles on my tyre! I took the tyre off and cut through it, to my surprise the tread-section was separate to the underlying carcass (so there was a void between the two which opened like an envelope), the bubbles and bulges all occur where the tread and inner carcass join. I’ve emailed Pirelli, but I’m not expecting a reply....

Don't blame you, there's no way I'd ride on a tyre looking like that. The rubber shouldn't bubble up, simple as that.
  • The difference here is the casing was intact. Tyres become unsafe when the casing is bulging. The tread does not hold the tyre together.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

The difference here is the casing was intact. Tyres become unsafe when the casing is bulging. The tread does not hold the tyre together.

I'll beg to differ. The tread on a tyre shouldn't bubble up. If you are perfectly happy riding on a tyre like that, good luck to you, but I wouldn't be suggesting to anyone that it is safe.