Boardman MTX 8.8 Front Mech Clearance

I have just bought a Boardman MTX 8.8. It is a 2 x 10 set up, with a Tiagra 4700 front mech and SL M6000 shifters. I can only get to top 7 gears on the big ring and the bottom 7 gears on the small ring with the chain rubbing the inside plate or outside plate of the front mech respectively.

Leaving aside the merits and demerits of cross chaining, is that normal. My other bikes have been 9 speed and I think I can get most of the range without rubbing.

I like the bike and the ride, but the chain rub is annoying.

Comments

• Following up from the first post. I have downloaded the Shimano workshop manual that covers the FD - 4700 and have gone through the adjustments and it didn't make any difference. Any extra clearance I got at one end I lost the equivalent at the other. So whatever I do I can only seem to get 7 usable gears out of 10 in either chainring.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you checked the toe angle and height of the front mech, either being wrong will increase the chance of chain rub.

If you just bought it why not take it back and ask them to sort it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.