Using Carbon bike in winter?

2»

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

longshot said:

fenix said:

singleton said:

You don't really need mudguards if you're riding solo - .

It's much nicer on wet days though with full guards. No more mucky stripes up your back and dirty kit.

Yeah but you have to put up with your bike looking like 20p for the swearbox.
    I dunno, a road bike covered in crud looks less appealing to me than one with mudguards on. Also means a lot less time spent washing the bike post ride.
    I completely understand the practicalities. I just hate the look of mudguards. YMMV.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    longshot said:

longshot said:

fenix said:

singleton said:

It's much nicer on wet days though with full guards. No more mucky stripes up your back and dirty kit.

I dunno, a road bike covered in crud looks less appealing to me than one with mudguards on. Also means a lot less time spent washing the bike post ride.
    I completely understand the practicalities. I just hate the look of mudguards. YMMV.
    you're riding it - not looking at it ...

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    longshot said:

fenix said:

singleton said:

So you have your best bike for the summer and the cheaper one for the winter. Winter bikes pay for themselves. Probably.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844

cruff said:

6,000 miles from a chain? Jesus H Christ are you sure? I'd hate to see the chain stretch on that - and suggest that you have been riding it for about the last 1,000 miles on little more than luck. One reasonably high torque effort will snap that like a twig.

It's just under the 0.1 and could really do with changing but it'll be fine for a few more.
    I'm not that powerful so it should be ok!
    I have a riding buddy who got a lot of mileage out a chain. The problem was that the excess stretch and use resulted in the chain ring being work so much a new chain would not sit on it properly. A new chain involved a new cassette and a set of new chain rings.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    Yes, treat chains as a sundry item.
    Given studious care, I think 6k is possible.

I'm lucky to get 3k but that's because i'm a lazy barsteward.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Please can as many of you take my survey
    thanks
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2GMP8KT
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I use a similar bike, the Emonda SLR 8 with disks for riding in the wet, super bike. Very light, etc. I do most of my annual Km’s on the ‘winter’ or wet bike, so why shouldn't it be a very nice bike to ride!
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    fenix said:

longshot said:

fenix said:

singleton said:

So you have your best bike for the summer and the cheaper one for the winter. Winter bikes pay for themselves. Probably.
    As much as I hate myself for even saying this, I am considering using my PX London Road this winter and, shudder, maybe add mudguards. I do hate them but I maytry them to see how much more pleasant they make the winter riding experience.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Scary facts. I use my winter bike in the summer when it is raining. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    longshot said:

fenix said:

longshot said:

fenix said:

singleton said:

As much as I hate myself for even saying this, I am considering using my PX London Road this winter and, shudder, maybe add mudguards. I do hate them but I maytry them to see how much more pleasant they make the winter riding experience.
    I rallied against mudguards for about twenty years. I didn't want them. I was a Fool.

It's much nicer with them for the winter months.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Carbon bikes are superior for winter because they do not corrode. My winter bike is a carbon bike and I still looks like new after 3 years used heavily in the winter.