Planet X Podsacs Saddle Packs

Does anyone have one of the planet X podsacks saddle packs?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

I'm considering getting one so I don't have to wear a rucksack to commute to work. It only needs to hold phone, wallet, keys and a shirt/pants but I'm thinking of getting the larger one as i figure the extra 2l will add minimal bulk but may come in useful

Any other suggestions for a cheapy commuter 'bikepacking' type bag if the planet X ones are pants?

ta
Mark

Comments

• stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    Probably not in the definition of cheap but I used a Restrap 14L saddle bag for 3 days a while back and it was pretty much flawless besides the fact I'd rather the bike was lighter :smile:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I got one to ditch the backpack and I’m happy with it. Always has a tube and multi tool in the bottom of it, usually carry a T-shirt and boxers as I leave shirts and trousers at work. This leaves plenty of room to add stuff if necessary.
    I’m convinced at any rate.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Used one on two bike touring trips and a few other weekend jaunts, very happy with it for the money.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,544
    Sounds like just what I need, did you get the small or the large?

I got one to ditch the backpack and I’m happy with it. Always has a tube and multi tool in the bottom of it, usually carry a T-shirt and boxers as I leave shirts and trousers at work. This leaves plenty of room to add stuff if necessary.
    I’m convinced at any rate.

• veronese68
    Large I think, can’t go wrong for the money.
  • monkimark
    Excellent, thanks.
    Off to Planet X I go.
  • oxoman said:

I swear by my carradice bag. Bombproof, waterproof.
    https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/super-c-sqr-slim

No, zondas are bomb proof, not coal sacks.
  • I bought a saddlebag, it rubs against my thighs... it's badly designed and the fastening system doesn't stay snug.
    Podsacs used to be a reputable company, then PX bought the name... the usual story... I wouldn't bother
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    By a strange coincidence I have just been reading a post by POD on UKClimbing.
    Like most independent companies once they are bought out, the quality takes a down turn.
  • veronese68
    It's a cheap bag at a cheap bag price. I bought one to see if it worked for me in the place of a backpack, I'm happy to say it does. It doesn't rub my puny thighs but it would rub the seatpost if I hadn't wrapped it with helicopter tape. If it gives up the ghost in the first year I will buy a better quality equivalent, if it lasts a few years, as I suspect it might, I will be happy.
    It's not the best quality, but I think its good value for money.
  • It's a cheap bag at a cheap bag price. I bought one to see if it worked for me in the place of a backpack, I'm happy to say it does. It doesn't rub my puny thighs but it would rub the seatpost if I hadn't wrapped it with helicopter tape. If it gives up the ghost in the first year I will buy a better quality equivalent, if it lasts a few years, as I suspect it might, I will be happy.
    It's not the best quality, but I think its good value for money.

Maybe it is and this is a commuters forum, so if kit don't deliver it's not a massive deal. I have bought it for longish rides, let's say up to 300 km, where small glitches can cause big and often expensive problems.
    It has a design flaw and as such it will end up in a landfill contributing to the problem. this is the one, don;t buy it

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODSBCS/podsacs-daytripper-lite-waterproof-saddle-bag
  • timothyw
    The one the OP has linked served me well on a 700km ride (over 3 days) last year and a 600km ride this year, along with a few shorter jaunts - it's possible to touch the bag with your legs but it never proved a problem.

The one that Ugo has linked does look like it is wider at the front, so I can see how that could be a problem. Don't buy that one.

• monkimark
    I take it they are the large size ones Timothy?
    They are pretty long, looks like I could get away with the smaller one for my commuting requirements.

thanks for the input everyone.
  • Take a look at the Topeak 6L one too. It's well made and doesn't rub... I seem to recall paying £ 35 for it... which is a far cry from the >100 quid of Apidura
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My one of these is from Alpkit, but they appear to have put their prices up substantially in recent years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Some reductions on Alpkit at the moment - https://www.alpkit.com/collections/bike-luggage-seat
  • timothyw
    monkimark said:

I take it they are the large size ones Timothy?
    They are pretty long, looks like I could get away with the smaller one for my commuting requirements.

thanks for the input everyone.

Those are the small saddle packs actually, although they are absolutely stuffed which makes them look a bit longer....

Frame bags are the large ones, as it happens.

In honesty, I wouldn't think they'd be great for the commute (certainly I've never used mine in that role) because it's quite a job to dettach them from the frame and securely reattach them - but then I've never really been bothered by my rucksack (which at 12l has more capacity than either of them).

I suppose you could be clever and put a bag inside the bag that can be quickly removed.
  • monkimark
    Bag inside bag is the plan.
    I have secure cycle storage at work so I'm happy to leave the bag attached with spare tube etc inside.