Advice selling high end Road Bike

I’ve just listed for my family member their high end road bike, Trek Madone series six project one with dura ace di2.
Awesome looking machine!

Rrp I think it’s over £7k, just listed on a famous auction site.
Anything to be wary?

It’s not to dissimilar to this one in review
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/63631-trek-madone-6-series-2013-custom-build?amp
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Tell him not to be upset when it sells for a fraction of the rrp.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    First , this is the worst possible time of year to sell a bike and secondly this bike was high end but now is 6/7 years old. You might get a bid but I doubt it. I would relist around March next year.
  • big bucks for a second hand bike, Expect to be haggled right down IF someone is tempted at all
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Thanks for all the comments

In no rush so maybe try come spring again

But being high end would it be seasonal

Appreciate its 6/7 years old comment

I don’t know much about bikes but it’s amazing to look at and feel lol

Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Worth nothing compared to the original list. I built a bike up in 2011 that would have cost £5,500 retail. Sold it in 2015 in the middle of summer for £1,200 in immaculate condition. Buyer sold it less than 6 months later in the winter for £600 and threw in a pair of shoes!
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Break it down into parts and sell them separately. You’ll get faster sales and potentially more money. Frame, wheels (with or without tyres on) group set, contact points, pedals.
  • Yep, same experience here. Had an ultra-bling Pinarello which in local market cost almost 12 grand to build. 4 years later I split it up and still barely recovered 3500 bucks and it was all in mint nick. The frameset alone was 4500 new - sold for 750. Wheels were $2300 and I was lucky to get 600 for them, done all of about 3000km too.

Ouch.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have found facebook marketplace good for selling. no fees either
  • I'd definitely list it high to start with as you never know but then come down in price over time but as already stated there is seasonal pricing to factor in too. High end bikes drop in value higher than high end cars. Even buying new if you hit end of season you can get discounts up to 40% so the difference in pricing can alter in weeks. CF frames and forks ideally should be scanned for safety when buying secondhand too which most don't bother to do but would put me off a CF frame of such vintage as I'd likely be wary of an old CF bike and not want to pay for scanning especially if it actually shows a void, at that point you have bought the bike and you have wasted your money its not like you can scan before purchase. Again though the right buyer may be prepared to pay more than the typical price.

It's like the name of the carbon fibre used 'low void' rather than 'no void' they are stating their carbon fibre has a low number of voids but any void within the carbon fibre will weaken/fatigue the frame over time leading to cracks and failure and any such failures in the fork could be life threatening. A perfect CF frame and forks should not suffer fatigue like steel or aluminium but the trouble is no one makes perfect CF frames and forks. Add to that any abuse the frame or forks have received can cause internal damage or accelerate fatigue for existing manufacturing issues which isn't always obvious externally. So I think sensible people can be wary of buying an old CF bike at higher end prices and I think that is reflected in s/hand prices. As ever it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and the battle is to get the fact it is for sale to as many suitable buyers as possible i.e. for a higher value item its worth spending the time listing it on as many sites as possible.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Searching for other Madone Series Six Di2 bikes on ebay - looks like the price should be about £1000-£1800. Even then, may take a while in winter. Facebook marketplace can be faster.