feltf70
feltf70 Posts: 20
edited October 2019 in Road general
Afternoon all,

My 05 Marin highway one has this crack in the headtube
:'(

Is it dead?

Should I deffo not ride it?

P. S i'm Daniel B, not figured out why my display name has changed yet.

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'd say that's had it, sorry!
  • feltf70
    edited October 2019
    Test reply
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I wouldn't ride that....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • I wouldn't ride it.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, that's toast. The headtube/fork steerer is the worst location to have damage in because it's one of the most high-stress parts of the frame and failure will lead to a bad accident.

I think your best bet is to look into frame warranties; a lot of manufacturer's offer a lifetime warranty, so if you're the original owner and have proof of purchase you might be able to have it replaced free-of-charge.
  • feltf70 said:

Afternoon all,

My 05 Marin highway one has this crack in the headtube
    :'(

Is it dead?

Should I deffo not ride it?

P. S i'm Daniel B, not figured out why my display name has changed yet.

It's done. 2005? I'd say it had a good run.
    Ride !
  • feltf70
    edited October 2019
    Bugger, I thought as much.
    This is my bike I keep in Mauritius, and I bought in 2nd hand in about 2008, so I think my options are none.

I was hoping to get one more ride in on Saturday.

Think I will get something like an allez elite (want to keep it simple with rim brakes) next year, and have to figure out how to transport it as oversize luggage with BA.

P.S have changed my username apparently to 'Dan' which saved, but not pulling through.
  • Good news and bad news....
    1)That frame is fubared.
    2) You are not the only one with an unasked for name change.
  • feltf70
    Bugger on both counts :/
  • Could still use it as a turbo bike?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Fill with araldite and glue a plate over it.
  • feltf70
    edited November 2019

Could still use it as a turbo bike?

I did consider that, but my felt f70 (ironically my new enforced username) has been my turbo bike, and how long I wonder before a similar fait awaits it.

Plus I would need to find packaging to take back to the uk as oversize luggage.
    No call to have a turbo bike for the time I am in Mauritius.

Roads here are not too bad on the whole, but was only running 25's, and imagine it was some of the potholes that must have done for it :/

Not sure I would be happy gluing and plating it, I think I would always be worried and not able to enjoy myself properly in the descents.

Current plan is to move a rack onto it, fit flatties, and keep it as a town bike, pop panniers on and go and get some phoenix beer in. Not the ignominious existance admittedly I would have hoped for her to live out her retirement.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I would fit a hose clamp around the headtube just above the fork crown, a bit filing might be required to make it cilindrical...
    Not pretty, but the bike wo'nt fall apart...
  • Have a one month moratorium on clothing purchases and buy a new bike.
  • Cracking word dhl!

One months spending will not suffice, but I think cycle2work will come to rescue, and as I may well be able to work from Mauritius on occasions, it's not too far from the truth.
  • feltf70 said:

Current plan is to move a rack onto it, fit flatties, and keep it as a town bike, pop panniers on and go and get some phoenix beer in. Not the ignominious existance admittedly I would have hoped for her to live out her retirement.

I don't consider myself overly cautious, but I'd be very hesitant to ride that frame at all. The crack is already substantial and it's only going to get worse.

You only have to hit one more pothole and you could easily be looking at a catastrophic failure, rapidly followed by a faceplant on the tarmac.

Totally not worth it. Buy yourself a beater bike and transfer any decent parts you have on there.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    keezx said:

I would fit a hose clamp around the headtube just above the fork crown, a bit filing might be required to make it cilindrical...
    Not pretty, but the bike wo'nt fall apart...

That is also my thoughts on the answer to "one more ride". You might have to make a bit of room at the down tube/head tube joint. Get on with it and just do it.
  • feltf70
    edited November 2019
    Thanks chaps,

I didn't risk the one last ride in the end, my gf had come down with a cold, and I didn't fancy going on my own, so it never happened.

The bike is X thousand miles away now as I am in back in blighty, and currently in shock having gone from +30c and pretty much full sun, to 3c I believe it was this morning :-(

Complications for transferring to a beater bike is that it's in Mauritius first off, and secondly it's a canti brakes frame, so I'm not sure if it is just the brakes I would need to change, or shifters as well - it's a 10 spd 105, but old fishing line style setup.

I can't really justify spending more than 4 figures on a replacement, I only get to go there (flights are pricey) once a year at most, for 3-4 weeks, but as it's a cycle2work discount I feel I can justify it more, and as long as it is reliable, it will probably be there virtually forever - so in that respect if it costs me £600, and lives there for 15 years, that's only some £40 a year.