Wobbly Bike

BillDelve
BillDelve Posts: 3
edited October 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

New to biking and a new member here.

I have a MTB where I have changed the inner tube and tyre, I took it out for a little ride yesterday and it seems to wobble from side to side. I have been told it’s the “cones” but also told to tighten up the wheel…

Being a total newbie I don’t want to mess around with the bike too much, but I can really feel the wobble…any ideas?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Could be something as simple as the tyre not seated correctly on the rim? Can you see it wobbling as you spin the wheel?
  • Hi, thanks for the reply, I will have a closer look, but its not a noticeable wobble when spinning the wheel, but i might just take it off and check the inner tube etc (as if fitting from scratch).
    thanks for the idea
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can rock the top of the wheel side to side while its bolted in the frame/fork then the bearings need adjusting, these are adjusted by tightening (or loosening if they are too tight) the cones.
    Once you know what you are doing its a five minute job though I'd usually strip down, clean and regrease when doing it turning into about a 45 minute job.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwVHPgpgVQ
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.