Lights for occasional use

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,667
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Other half, bless, has just dropped and smashed my front light. Time for a new set. Thing is, I am an infrequent after dark cyclist, hardly ever. But given the time of year... I do have the front and rear be seen in daytime LEDs which I use as flashers though they do have a constant mode, but will need more output than that. I'm not urban so lighting for country roads, cycle paths, and similar.

Any recs for good value reasonably priced sets?

Comments

• Another one of whatever has just been broken, assuming it was fit for what you needed.
    This will give you a spare mount.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Love my knog boomers:
    https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/knog-boome ... 36577623/p

Best thing is that you don’t need a mount permanently attached to your bike. Just stick them in the jersey pocket when going out if you think you might need them. And they’re pretty bright.

<edit - rereading your post - the boomers wouldn’t be bright enough to illuminate country roads, they’re an urban light more or less - but much brighter than some, very safe for being seen with>
  • orraloon
    Something like the Lezyne Zecto Drive set, Wiggle listing at £45?

My old broken light was so old that doubt it is still made. Plus my (non paired) rear light is a bit too old school, will be happier with many more lumens behind me.

Very infrequent night rider, cannot remember last time I was out in the dark, multiple years. But got a late back trip out coming up in a couple of weeks time, will definitely be dark on my way home early evening.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Planet x have some good deals and trek do a couple of front lights bontrager I think and the flare rear
  • I've had one of https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIMSMJ900 ... ycle-light for a few years, in suburbia I have to angle it down quite sharply due to the beam throw, would make a decent rural light.

There's a newer model for same price at PX with Bluetooth for setting custom brightness levels.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • orraloon
    Wow, 1200 lumen, that I like! That Lezyne Zecto is only 250l. My routes will be 95%+ unlit.