Looking for wheels for old bicycle!

Fem_ilk
Fem_ilk Posts: 4
edited October 2019 in Workshop
Hi there :)

I’m looking to buy new wheels for my bicycle (1980-82 Bianchi nuovo), however I’m not sure which ones will be correct, the tires say ” 700x23C 23-622”. But I don’t know what rim size they will fit. Does anyone here know and have some advice on which wheels I should buy?

I preferably want them to not be black so that they fit the general look of the older bicycle! Basically need to change them because both the rims and wheels are worm out on mine. Pictures for bicycle reference below:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Thank you so much for taking the time to read

Comments

• They are 700c wheels which are still standard. They must be quite narrow rims if you're on 23's. Try 25's or 28's for more comfort? You challenge will be the rear hub, which looks like solid axle, screw-on freewheel - and straight-thro' blocks are not so common these days. But you can still get these old standard wheels - maybe treat yourself to a QR and a wider block? You might have to try hard to get so many spokes... Also the block you buy will likely be for indexed systems, but this wont matter, your Campag friction shifter wont know the difference - you could increase the number of cogs on the back as long as you get the matching chain.

Alternatively just build a new rim onto the hubs. That's what I did.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Fem_ilk wrote:

I’m looking to buy new wheels for my bicycle (1980-82 Bianchi nuovo), however I’m not sure which ones will be correct, the tires say ” 700x23C 23-622”. But I don’t know what rim size they will fit. Does anyone here know and have some advice on which wheels I should buy?

I preferably want them to not be black so that they fit the general look of the older bicycle! Basically need to change them because both the rims and wheels are worm out on mine. Pictures for bicycle reference below:

Before we can answer your question it might be helpful to supply some detail. What speed is your Campag drivetrain. Is it 5,6 or 7 speed -can't tell from the pics. Also do the sprockets come as a screw-on freewheel(more likely) or a removable cassette?
    Problem is that todays wheelsets will be design primarily for 11-speed cassette type gear systems and will need a frame that can cope with the hub width that requires. I'm guessing your 80's Bianchi will have an OLD of 120 or 126mm which will be too narrow for a modern wheelset unless your prepared to butcher the rear triangle.

Freewheel wheelsets are available for 5,6 or 7 speed - an example is linked to below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-Hybrid- ... 2597997454
  • arlowood wrote:
    Fem_ilk wrote:

Before we can answer your question it might be helpful to supply some detail. What speed is your Campag drivetrain. Is it 5,6 or 7 speed -can't tell from the pics. Also do the sprockets come as a screw-on freewheel(more likely) or a removable cassette?
    Problem is that todays wheelsets will be design primarily for 11-speed cassette type gear systems and will need a frame that can cope with the hub width that requires. I'm guessing your 80's Bianchi will have an OLD of 120 or 126mm which will be too narrow for a modern wheelset unless your prepared to butcher the rear triangle.

Freewheel wheelsets are available for 5,6 or 7 speed - an example is linked to below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-Hybrid- ... 2597997454

Thank you so much for your response!

It seems to have 7 (?) gears now that I count them on the back. I’m not completely sure if it’s a screw on freewheel or cassette, if I take more pictures closer up will you be able to tell?

I really appreciate the help, I’m very new to this and I really want to learn :D
  • arlowood
    Fem_ilk wrote:

It seems to have 7 (?) gears now that I count them on the back. I’m not completely sure if it’s a screw on freewheel or cassette, if I take more pictures closer up will you be able to tell?

I really appreciate the help, I’m very new to this and I really want to learn :D

The rear wheel does not have QR (quick release) skewers - so the rear hub axle is solid which points to a screw-on freewheel.

Your simplest option would be to replace like for like with one of the wheelsets in the link above
  • arlowood wrote:
    Fem_ilk wrote:

The rear wheel does not have QR (quick release) skewers - so the rear hub axle is solid which points to a screw-on freewheel.

Your simplest option would be to replace like for like with one of the wheelsets in the link above

So ”thickness” wise they should also fit my bicycle? Just wondering because it seems like they are a little broader, but if so I’ll order them :)

One more question, would it be fine to buy the set withhout a freewheel and buy a silver set separately and add onto it? Would that be a hassle? Just thinking because the 7 speed has a shimano thing going on which I don’t think will fit the look as much!

Thank you again :)
  • arlowood
    Fem_ilk wrote:

So ”thickness” wise they should also fit my bicycle? Just wondering because it seems like they are a little broader, but if so I’ll order them :)

One more question, would it be fine to buy the set withhout a freewheel and buy a silver set separately and add onto it? Would that be a hassle? Just thinking because the 7 speed has a shimano thing going on which I don’t think will fit the look as much!

Thank you again :)

Just had a look and you are correct. They are claiming an OLD (over locknut distance) of 135mm which might be a bit too much for your frame. However if your dropouts are 130mm, which they probably are, then you may get away with "spreading" the rear triangle a smidge so that they fit OK.

However you can get wheels that are designed to fit the older 130mm OLD standard and will take a 7 speed freewheel.

An example is this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/700C-622-HYBRI ... 3866924433

but if you really want to push the boat out, Malcolm at Cycleclinic will build you a set of 100/130mm wheels with a freewheel compatible freehub for £297

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/z ... s-son-rims

By the way if you are balking at the Shimano freewheel on the Baldwin cycles wheels then just order the wheels with no freewheel and buy a non-branded 7-speed freewheel from SJS

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels/ ... freewheel/
  • 1980-82 is more likely to be 126mm OLN and it's certainly be a freewheel as free hubs/cassettes hadn't been invented. You could have the frame cold set to take a 130mm OLN hub. If you pop over to Retrobike, you'll probably be able to buy some decent wheels of that era for £50 rather than the low rent stuff you'd find online
  • Agree with Monty, almost certainly 126 mm
    left the forum March 2023