Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Single Speed Winter Bike

ajkerr73ajkerr73 Posts: 317
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
As far as I can see, Langster isn't available new anymore??

What are the options for a single speed for winter use?

As close to standard road geometry as posssible.

Not looking to spend a fortune.

Posts

  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    Secondhand Langster?
  • ajkerr73ajkerr73 Posts: 317
    Imposter wrote:
    Secondhand Langster?
    I've got my eyes peeled but need a 58 or 60.

    Loads of 56's about but haven't seen any larger frames yet.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Felt Despatch, but obvsnot that mtb thing they also do.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Maybe just buy a suitable road bike and convert it to single speed using a chain tensioner to compensate for the lack of suitable rear dropouts. That way you have more choice on the s/hand market of suitable bikes. A single cog conversion kit for a freehub and chain tensioner are not that expensive. You can sell the bits you don't need already on the bike typically Shimano brifters Claris upwards fetch reasonable money and can replace them with standard brake levers. Remove the inner chainring on the crankset.

    Sub £200 fixed/single speed drop bar bike here with classic styling, chrome and leather look but a lower end brand and steel. Not much to go wrong with a single speed bike and it will still be light due to minimal parts on the bike.

    https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/produ ... 7cee&_ss=r
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Worth looking out for second hand Giant Bowerys.
    They're quite similar to Langsters with their aggressive position and also fairly light with it's compact aluminium frame.
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    All depends on what your budget is really. There are plenty of new single speed bikes for less than £500, a myriad if you’ve got a grand to spend. Take a look at some of these just for example;

    https://www.quellabicycle.com/product-category/bikes/

    If you want to spend significantly less than £500 then there are plenty secondhand, check gumtree, eBay etc. I started looking for one last Saturday for my son as a university bike, and bought one on Sunday only six miles away! It’s a Charge Plug 0, in great condition for £120. I’ve cleaned and regressed pedals, wheel bearings and headset. Put some new bar tape on and just waiting for a new freewheel and chain (about £25 all in) and it will be good to go.

    It has bull horn handlebars and cross type brakes on the flats. It would be easy to buy a cheap set of drop handlebars and keep these brakes if he wants dropped bars. So for a little over £150 he has a fantastic machine to save on bus and train fares around Manchester. It won’t take long before it has paid for itself and he’ll have more beer money in his sky rocket! :roll:

    I have spent significantly more on kitting him out for riding in the city, from a monster lock and cable, spanner for his wheel nuts, tyre levers, spare tubes, chain lube, a frame pump, helmet, winter gloves and I’ve bitten the bullet and bought some Gilles Berthoud stainless guards for £40 to try to keep his censored and feet dry(ish)! They do look cool and retro, this has unfortunately turned into a passion project for me! I shall be sad to drop it off next week.... :(

    Here it is before new chain, freewheel and guards...

    999-F3-FF8-7-C25-403-D-92-EE-A971-BCF42414.jpg
    free photo host
    PP
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 2,177
    Genesis flyer?
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/flyer

    I had one a few years ago and loved it.
    Looks like a perfect winter bike, if a bit costly.
  • I have a Langster but it has a couple of drawbacks as a winter bike, in that there is poor tyre clearance and no mudguard bosses. Many fixies / singlespeeds derived from track bikes are similar.

    There are a few available with more nods to winter usage, Dolan FXE being the pick of the bunch for me. Frame is currently £230 new so tempted to switch out my Langster frame for one...
  • Have a look at Dolan. They do a singlespeed aluminium frame. Mudguard eyelets. Can buy in frame or built up from memory.
  • Another option is looking out for an On-one Pompino on ebay, gumtree or LFGSS too. Should be looking at between £150-200 for one I'd say and suitable for slightly bigger tyres and mudguards etc.

    If you want something new not sure of your budget but it's worth looking at Santa Fixie too.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Dolan FXE?

    There used to be a pinnacle Arkose at evans with single speed and disk brakes, not sure if they still do that or it would interest?

    I'd advise against setting something up with a chain tensioner, rules out trying fixed and introduces a new source of complication/failure.

    If you want disk brakes eccentric bottom bracket is the best solution (and to some extent with rim brakes).
  • webboowebboo Posts: 4,260
    Back in the day you would make one these about spare parts you had or could cadge. Use an old double chain set, chain on little ring and chain on either the 16 or 18 sprocket on the block or these days cassette. Worked fine until the hills got in to single figures in old money.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    There used to be a pinnacle Arkose at evans with single speed and disk brakes, not sure if they still do that or it would interest?......

    They don't do the singlespeed Arkose anymore, was a lovely looking bike though in the white with the splatter paint effect. Looked for one myself second hand and they really don't come about often at all. Shame really as looked really good.

    Same goes for State Bicycles who use to make the Warhawk and Thunderbird for SSCX
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, think it's a consequence of the end of the bike boom that these more niche models just aren't getting made anymore.

    I can't really complain too loudly though, the singlespeed cyclocross bike I got from Wiggle ended up with a nice upgrade to a geared model when the frame failed, they had nothing comparable to replace it with.
  • luv2rideluv2ride Posts: 2,363
    Here's a 2nd hand Arkose single speed on ebay:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3652319680
    Not sure why they've got a rear tension thingy as not needed with the elliptical BB (assuming that's all working, but can't see how it'd get damaged).

    I've got one, bloody brilliant and highly recommended, though mine has been converted to 1x11 for the past 12 months. Seriously considering a PX Space Chicken for some 650b 1x action, and reverting the Arkose back to SS for filthy off road rides in the winter.
    Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose 1x11 "monster cross" - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I hope the reach on those brake levers is adjustable! :shock:

    PP
  • ajkerr73ajkerr73 Posts: 317
    I've picked up a second hand Langster. Collecting it this week.

    Not planning to use it 100% through the winter, just for some commutes and slower club rides.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I started looking for one last Saturday for my son as a university bike, and bought one on Sunday only six miles away! It’s a Charge Plug 0, in great condition for £120. I’ve cleaned and regressed pedals, wheel bearings and headset. Put some new bar tape on and just waiting for a new freewheel and chain (about £25 all in) and it will be good to go.

    My experience of bikes for offspring at university: spend more on the locks than the bike, and convince them to use them whenever the bike's not being ridden. And be very careful about where the thing is left, and what it's locked to.

    At Loughborough from outside the halls of residence the wheels were nicked but the D-lock saved the rest of the bike. Then 2 years later the whole bike was lifted. Spotted the frame on ebay being sold by somebody also selling a lot of bike parts from a seedy part of Manchester. Police not interested because I didn't have the frame number.

    I'm worried you're too emotionally invested in the new Plug and that you've made it too attractive to potential thieves!
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    keef66 wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I started looking for one last Saturday for my son as a university bike, and bought one on Sunday only six miles away! It’s a Charge Plug 0, in great condition for £120. I’ve cleaned and regressed pedals, wheel bearings and headset. Put some new bar tape on and just waiting for a new freewheel and chain (about £25 all in) and it will be good to go.

    My experience of bikes for offspring at university: spend more on the locks than the bike, and convince them to use them whenever the bike's not being ridden. And be very careful about where the thing is left, and what it's locked to.

    At Loughborough from outside the halls of residence the wheels were nicked but the D-lock saved the rest of the bike. Then 2 years later the whole bike was lifted. Spotted the frame on ebay being sold by somebody also selling a lot of bike parts from a seedy part of Manchester. Police not interested because I didn't have the frame number.

    I'm worried you're too emotionally invested in the new Plug and that you've made it too attractive to potential thieves!

    All very good points, well made. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) the bike was in great condition to start with! I’m sure after half a dozen winter rides it will look censored and he won’t be cleaning it... :wink:

    Bought him one of those really heavyweight wearable belt locks (sold gold secure) and a 7’ cable with loops either end so he should be able to lock the whole thing including wheels. His accommodation has a big walk in cage, the locked gate is opened with his ID card, so about as secure as he is likely to get. He will get the lecture (from me this time, not Prof Brian Cox - yeah, I’m bloody jealous) regarding security as opposed to relativity. :mrgreen:

    Fitting guards tomorrow hopefully and should be delivering it later in the week. Frame number will be noted and I might actually put some home identity (‘This belongs to name and mobile number’) inside the frame, steerer, seatpost and bars/ stem. Plus a host of photos. You can only do what you can do....

    PP
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Good luck!
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I started looking for one last Saturday for my son as a university bike, and bought one on Sunday only six miles away! It’s a Charge Plug 0, in great condition for £120. I’ve cleaned and regressed pedals, wheel bearings and headset. Put some new bar tape on and just waiting for a new freewheel and chain (about £25 all in) and it will be good to go.

    My experience of bikes for offspring at university: spend more on the locks than the bike, and convince them to use them whenever the bike's not being ridden. And be very careful about where the thing is left, and what it's locked to.

    At Loughborough from outside the halls of residence the wheels were nicked but the D-lock saved the rest of the bike. Then 2 years later the whole bike was lifted. Spotted the frame on ebay being sold by somebody also selling a lot of bike parts from a seedy part of Manchester. Police not interested because I didn't have the frame number.

    I'm worried you're too emotionally invested in the new Plug and that you've made it too attractive to potential thieves!

    All very good points, well made. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) the bike was in great condition to start with! I’m sure after half a dozen winter rides it will look censored and he won’t be cleaning it... :wink:

    Bought him one of those really heavyweight wearable belt locks (sold gold secure) and a 7’ cable with loops either end so he should be able to lock the whole thing including wheels. His accommodation has a big walk in cage, the locked gate is opened with his ID card, so about as secure as he is likely to get. He will get the lecture (from me this time, not Prof Brian Cox - yeah, I’m bloody jealous) regarding security as opposed to relativity. :mrgreen:

    Fitting guards tomorrow hopefully and should be delivering it later in the week. Frame number will be noted and I might actually put some home identity (‘This belongs to name and mobile number’) inside the frame, steerer, seatpost and bars/ stem. Plus a host of photos. You can only do what you can do....

    PP

    err - wearablee belt lock?

    enlighten please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    one of these?

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiplok-LITE-We ... B00LMG4TSU

    errr - well that's an internal injury waiting to happen, isn't it.........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Probably too late but I picked this up from Evans, currently at £295, with a few mods (saddle, brake levers and mudguards)



  • By the way, the new forum makes posting pics a piece of p$ss!
Sign In or Register to comment.