Tyre for turbo

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
Not ideally specc'd, but I've let my roadbike head up to Uni with a son, and now got a mild calf strain which is limiting my usual fitness activity of running, so could do with getting a rear tyre for my Bizango to stick on a turbo. I know with 32x11 it's hardly going to be putting me dramatically through my paces on an Elite fluid turbo, but it will be better than nothing and I can consume some Netflix films whilst getting the calf back in order.

Any recommendations for a cheap tyre to slap on a Bizango rear wheel? I'm guessing anything 700x32 and relatively smooth will do the job. I reckon the stock Ardent would be a bit noisy?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    It is probably worth spending a little more on a proper trainer tyre. This one is available in a 35c width: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-insid ... ainer-tyre

The turbo tyre will likely to be slightly quieter and a lot more resilient.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Cheers both for the recommendations. In the end I decided swapping out my tubeless 29er tyre for a turbo tyre was going to be too much hassle, so I nicked one of my kids bikes and grabbed a £10 26in tyre from Halfords for ease.

I was also concerned with the 29er that as I've got 1x11 and the turbo is a fluid one which effectively adjusts based on speed alone I'd be better with the 42 - 12 ratio as a max effort vs the 32 - 11 that I'd have with the Bizango.

Hopefully this is just s temporary need anyway whilst the calf fully recovers, as getting fit on a turbo or even on a bike more generally doesn't appeal as much as running does!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)