removing rust problems

Jongnen
Jongnen Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in Workshop
ive just started cleaning up some old bikes
its been going really well until i come to removing the rust from the wheels, handlebars and cranks
i tried going at it with steel wool and a metal brush
this only lead to me scratching it

is there a way to remove the rust without damaging the looks of your bike?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jongnen wrote:
    ive just started cleaning up some old bikes
    its been going really well until i come to removing the rust from the wheels, handlebars and cranks
    i tried going at it with steel wool and a metal brush
    this only lead to me scratching it

is there a way to remove the rust without damaging the looks of your bike?

Assuming you are talking about rust on chrome parts, then no, there isn't. The only realistic alternative is to re-chrome.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    You can try using Autosol Chrome polish and scrunched up silver foil. I've had some limited success on a vintage bike my wife had. Didn't remove the deep rust but the surface stuff cleaned up a treat. Made it look 100 times better.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    It’s beyond that if he’s taken a wire brush to it! Sounds like rust has taken hold to the metal below the chrome. Realistically sandblasting is the only way to get it back to bare metal and then re-chroming. Rims maybe beyond that depending how deep the rust is. Alternatively sourcing replacement parts in better condition may be more realistic. Try cycle jumbles etc.

PP
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I got good results using tin foil on chrome, look it up, seems to work pretty well
  • Try oxalic acid. Buy it as a powder from ebay, mix with water, paint on, wash off then polish.
  • brunojohn7102QikkwggD
    edited November 2021
    My bike rusted after a long time of use. It spoils the overall look of my bikes; they look nasty. To remove rust from my bike, I tried baking soda and water. I just mix them together, add some lemon juice, and then apply the mixture to the rusted surface. The effect is amazing after only 10-15 minutes. I used the pad to scrub and the rust slowly peeled off.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    What is it with these bots resurrecting posts from 2019 and talking shite?