Headset Top Cap Bottoming Out

andytl755
andytl755 Posts: 7
edited October 2019 in Road beginners
I just bought a second hand bike and I pretty much managed to set it all up apart from the gears. So I took it down to my local independent shop and they obliged. They checked the bike over and noted everything was ok, except: 'Headset top cap was bottoming out on steerer tube. Needed to fit extra 5mm headset spacer'.

I think I understand the logistics... i.e. where the handlebar stem is mounted at the frame, it was rubbing, so a spacer was added on the top. Does this mean there is something inherently wrong with my bike? Is the problem totally solved now (and how would I even know)?

Please any help for this beginner would be appreciated.
Andy

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    This is entirely normal and how it should be. You would know as the headset would not be properly set and you would feel vibrations, especially when braking. Not desirable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It just means that whoever fitted the headset / stem didn't cut quite enough off the steerer tube. There needs to be a gap between the underside of the top cap and the top of the steerer.
    Fitting an extra 5mm spacer above or below the stem is a quicker way of sorting it than taking the fork out and chopping a bit more steerer off.

Yes, the problem is all sorted.
  • Thank you so much. My mind is at ease.