Tyre Recommendation for 29er

4xsama
4xsama Posts: 26
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I'm going to replace my tyres on my Pivot 429 Trail. Current tyres are Kenda Slant 6's at 29 in x 2.20. Most of my riding is on the Yarra singletrack in and around Melbourne with the occasional ride elsewhere like Lysterfield. Most of the riding is on reasonably hard packed single track. I avoid the muddy days if possible as it chews the tracks up too much.

I need to keep quite narrow on the rear as the Pivot hasn't much clearance with a 2.20 tyre. I was probably going to put a fatter tyre on the front.

Any suggestions

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Maxxis Igniter is designed for hardpack. You can get them in a wide variety of sizes.

But there are even faster rolling ones than the Igniter, it depends upon how much of your riding is real hardpack and how much where you needs some proper grip. I found Slants were terrible on wet grass.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd look at Schwalbe, Rocket Ron on the front in speedgrip (or soft if you like more front end grip) compound and a Racing Ralph out back in speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.