Rockshox Topcap Cassette Tool

sjb1781
sjb1781 Posts: 5
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone know what size the Rockshox top cap cassette tool is? The no. and a/f size of the splines?

Just wondering if I can get a cheaper one than the official Rockshox one for £12..... :D

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    sjb1781 wrote:
    Anyone know what size the Rockshox top cap cassette tool is? The no. and a/f size of the splines?

Just wondering if I can get a cheaper one than the official Rockshox one for £12..... :D

Isn't it the exact same one that Shimano use to remove the cassette lock ring and the Shimano disc brakes. If you don't already have one, then you should buy one and get three tools for the price of one! :D

PS: In my opinion, the splined design is MUCH better than the previous shallow hexagon. Unless you ground down the socket to remove the internal chamfer, you risked rounding out the alloy hexagon!!!! :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a cheap 24mm socket with no chamfering for that very reason, I have a box of 'special' tools for fork servicing.

My understanding was it was a lockring tool as well (of course its a different tool for splined discs on a 15mm hub, but the same on QR).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.