fantasy bike shopping - sub £3k

Slim6969SIM
Slim6969SIM Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
I have a bird Zero. I bought it in 2015 and I love it.

My riding is 70% south downs (undulating, chalky, muddy) and 30% downhill (Surrey Hills/Swinley/BPW).

I'm not very skilled but I am very fit. I fall off a lot following my buddies on their FS bikes. I think I need a full-suspension bike that will let me ride all day and hit the bike parks while keeping up.

My budget is this side of £3000 (rather spend £2000) and I'm looking at three bikes to keep me in the arms race:

Bird Aeris AM9 - my experience so far points me in their direction, and they're really nice and the office is about 10 miles from me.

Nukeproof Mega 290 (maybe even AM275)

And, the left-field choice, Orange Stage 5.

Can't do canyon or YT because they don't support my current cycle to work scheme and/or offer 0% interest, which the others do. HELP!!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'd go for the Bird.
    Pop along to the HQ and have a chat with the guys there about what you want and take it from there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mm94210
    mm94210 Posts: 40
    I’m in a similar position buddy, albeit my terrain is much tamer by the sounds of things.

FWIW if I were in your shoes I would probably go for this Nukeproof.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-mega-275-carbon-pro-bike-gx-eagle-2019/rp-prod170238

Having said that, the Bird also looks amazing and as you are so close to them does make sense in so many ways. The way I see it is that you can’t really go wrong with either.

Good luck with your hunting!