New at cycling a bit confused

Just_Tony
Just_Tony Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in Family & kids cycling forum
So my wife got me a bike couple years ago and I recently started riding it more often, but I was looking at videos trying to get a better idea on bicycles.
So the cassette has 7 rings/gears, yet the grip shifter goes up to 5. Is there a way this gears work?
Excuse my cycling terms lol

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Generally speaking the numbers on a grip shift and the numbers of sprockets on the cassette should be the same.

Was this a new or a second-hand bike?
  • So bike gears can come in two types. They can have one shifter on the handlebars (operated by the right hand) or two shifters, one for each hand. The number of gears on the right hand should match the number of gears (cogs) on the rear wheel. The number of gears on the left shifter (if shown) should match the nimber of chain rings (cogs) on the cranks (where the pedals are attached).

Is it possible that you are counting 5 at the wheel and two at the cranks? This actually makes 5x2=10 gears, although you wouldn't normally use all of them.

This page may help:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/the-complete-guide-to-bicycle-gears-bicycle-transmissions-explained/