Replacing Formula B4

dab996
dab996 Posts: 13
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have a 2004 Corratec Superbow Race MTB running Formula B4 hydraulic disc brakes, which no longer work efficiently. The bike has been stored for many years in a cold damp cellar and an inspection suggests corrosion is an issue together with some of the plastics around the brake levers perishing.

As a result I am thinking of replacing the Formula braking system for the Shimano MT200 and my question is can i keep the original Formula Rotors? I should point out that the bike will only be used for general leisure with no off road.

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Don’t Shimano use mineral oil as brake fluid? And Formula use glycol ether fluid? If so then no, you can’t mix and match. That’s before even getting into matching master cylinder dimensions, stroke and so on.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    If you are replacing the whole braking system (levers and calipers) then it won't matter.

You just can't mix and match IF the systems use DOT4 and mineral oil.

The way I read it - you'd fit new brakes and just keep the rotors?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • figbat
    D’OH!! I read “calipers” rather than “rotors”. Yes, assuming the rotors are the right size for the new calipers then no problem.
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • dab996
    figbat wrote:
    D’OH!! I read “calipers” rather than “rotors”. Yes, assuming the rotors are the right size for the new calipers then no problem.[/quote

I'm new to this so could you please explain what measurements/parameters i need to consider in order to confirm whether or not the original formula b4 rotors are the right size for the incoming Shimano calipers?

Many thanks,
    Darren
  • billycool
    figbat wrote:
    D’OH!! I read “calipers” rather than “rotors”. Yes, assuming the rotors are the right size for the new calipers then no problem.

LOL - thought that might have been the case! :lol:
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • billycool
    dab996 wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    D’OH!! I read “calipers” rather than “rotors”. Yes, assuming the rotors are the right size for the new calipers then no problem.[/quote

I'm new to this so could you please explain what measurements/parameters i need to consider in order to confirm whether or not the original formula b4 rotors are the right size for the incoming Shimano calipers?

Many thanks,
    Darren

A standard rotor size would be 160mm. A larger 180mm rotor needs an adaptor to move the caliper into the appropriate position.

You should be able to do a straight swap because whether you have 160mm or 180mm your bike should have all the necessary fixings already in place.

Don't worry about it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • figbat
    Yeah, I have overthought and over complicated it. It’s all good, replace the hydraulic bits and leave the rotors. Just remember the fluid will be different if/when it comes time to bleed.
  • dab996
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice, its very much appreciated.