Fairlight Strael 2 v Mason Definition 2

rogybiv
rogybiv Posts: 3
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Any thoughts? Other than the price difference I'm finding it hard to draw a line between the two other than price. The Strael looks like it could be a wee more aggressive in terms of the Geometry which could prove more fun... Mason is a bit lighter and I think edges it in the aesthetic department, though I wish they had a more fun colour. If anyone has any experience with riding both for a decent amount of time it would be great to get your thoughts!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Rogybiv wrote:
    Any thoughts? Other than the price difference I'm finding it hard to draw a line between the two other than price. The Strael looks like it could be a wee more aggressive in terms of the Geometry which could prove more fun... Mason is a bit lighter and I think edges it in the aesthetic department, though I wish they had a more fun colour. If anyone has any experience with riding both for a decent amount of time it would be great to get your thoughts!

Which version of the Fairlight are you looking at. You can specify either a "T" or Tall frame geometry which is more relaxed or an "R" or Regular geometry which has a lower more aggressive set-up

https://fairlightcycles.com/calculator/?v=79cba1185463
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've always wanted a Strael, so.....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • arlowood wrote:
    Rogybiv wrote:

Which version of the Fairlight are you looking at. You can specify either a "T" or Tall frame geometry which is more relaxed or an "R" or Regular geometry which has a lower more aggressive set-up

https://fairlightcycles.com/calculator/?v=79cba1185463

Good question! Definitely the R. Had a bike fit and looks like I’d be aiming for the 56R in the Strael or a 54 on the mason.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I have a Mason albeit Bokeh (ally rather than steel) as wanted the option to run wider tyres with mud guards and possibly more off roading with 650b wheels which I am as yet to get. In hind sight wish I'd gone for the Resolute. I can't fault it I got the limited shutter black, I'm not tottally sold on the colour scheme black frame, orange "Mason" wrapped around fork, slight red on the headset, white "Mason on the down tube and yellow M on the seat tube and underside of saddle.

However rides really well and does just goes it's good fun, do social club runs solos and commuting on it road and towpaths. Mechanical Ultegra with 35mm G Ones tubeless. I've also fitted rack and guards.
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    The primary difference is that the definition is aluminium and the strael is steel. They're both designed as fast but comfortable road bikes so have some similarities but based on the material, tube profiles and weight it's likely that the definition will err towards the fast side and the strael towards the comfort side.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    DaveR1 wrote:
    The primary difference is that the definition is aluminium and the strael is steel. They're both designed as fast but comfortable road bikes so have some similarities but based on the material, tube profiles and weight it's likely that the definition will err towards the fast side and the strael towards the comfort side.

Mason do the steel Resolution similar numbers to the Definition bar the weight 8.8 alloy vs 9.2 steel, not sure how these compare to the Strael - no weight given on their website.

My money would be Mason Resolute :D
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My money IS on the strael, currently awaiting my bike! I looked at the Definition but the geo wasnt aggressive enough for me, I needed a lower head tube. Fingers crossed it's as good as all the reviews suggest!
  • joey54321 said:

My money IS on the strael, currently awaiting my bike! I looked at the Definition but the geo wasnt aggressive enough for me, I needed a lower head tube. Fingers crossed it's as good as all the reviews suggest!

Ahh! When does it arrive?? They have a long wait which I can only assume must be a good thing that they're selling fast and they don't tend to show up on ebay very often... same with Masons too though to be fair. Hope you enjoy the ride and let me know what you think!