Bang for buck options

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all

So due to some complicated and frankly boring personal/medical events next summer I will be off the back for quite some time from next summer onwards.

I have never been fiscally gifted enough to be able to experience top end components, I have never had a 11 speed groupset for example nor had a non cable disc bike. I have only owned 1 carbon road bike and that was several years ago.

Given my impending period of cycleless-ness (is that a word?) I would like to spend my upcoming yearly bonus (£2k) on a last hurrah, it could be a couple of years before I am back on a bike regularly enough to be considered a cyclist.

With that in mind I am looking for a road bike (not gravel or cx) that can let me experience some stuff I have never tried. My shopping list would ideally have the below:

* Carbon and light (sub 8kg)
* 11 speed groupset as high up the tier as poss
* Light wheels ideally deep section?
* Aero
* Fast as f##k

I know the above is massively superficial and my lack of fitness won't do it justice but I just want to have something that when finished with next year can take pride of place on the wall in my garage, something that will drive me to return to cycling regularly at some point (hopefully reasonably soon) in the future.

With the above in mind practicalities like mud guard mounts and rack mounts etc are irrelevant.

I am looking for the fastest, lightest, highest spec bike I can get for £2k (new) to have a blast on before it gets put away for 12-24 months.

I am looking maybe at either planet X aero road bike with 40mm selxof carbon rims and ultegra (£1899) or Ribble endurance SL with carbon Mavic cosmic/105 (£2200).

Is this about as good as I can get?

Not interested in used bikes.

Advice please

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ex-display S2?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervel ... -Bike/3G86

even when fitting selcof wheels you are still well below budget. shame its 105 though....

the planet x are well cool though - and tbh you may well be able to build one up for cheaper than the price you say up there.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    AiR 9.2 or 9.4 if you can find an extra £300 or get a deal/discount?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/bik ... -road/air/

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks both look promising !
  • mr_eddy
    Cervelo no longer available :(
  • mr_eddy
    Looking also at Rose SL - not technically aero but £1300 gets me mechanical ultegra then another £500 gets me some selcof 50mm carbon clinchers, add on £70-100 for a set of 25mm GP5000 and I reckon I am just under £2k and weight should drop from 8kg stock to about 7.8kg

Anyone got an experience with Rose SL ?
  • mr_eddy
    Another look at the Ribble SL and it looks mint! Think I would keep the stock wheels and buy the above mentioned selcof 50mm , that would save £200 compared to Mavics and still under budget, maybe opt for the gp5000 tyre upgrade. Total weight should be under 8kg. So far that is now my top pick...
  • mr_eddy
    If I dropped the gp5000 tyres and sold the stock wheels on classified reckon I could pay for the custom paint option and recover Costs? Baby blue to purple fade maybe or grey teal to black ?
  • Custom paint is very expensive.

I know you said brand new but you can probably get an insane bike for 2k used.
  • Matthewfalle
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Cervelo no longer available :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    go tubular over clincher re wheels my man.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    anything Canyon based?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Dolan Rebus frameset the ultegra groupset in the dels, wheels from Selcof, etc

probs come in again under budget and look cool.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Looking also at Rose SL - not technically aero but £1300 gets me mechanical ultegra then another £500 gets me some selcof 50mm carbon clinchers, add on £70-100 for a set of 25mm GP5000 and I reckon I am just under £2k and weight should drop from 8kg stock to about 7.8kg

Anyone got an experience with Rose SL ?

In addition to the SL, have a look also at the Rose X Lite Four

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite ... ing-Yellow

For your budget you could get the 105 R7000 version and if you sell on the DT Swiss wheels you could probably buy some Selcof 40mm wheels with the proceeds plus a couple of hundred quid.

The X Lite Four certainly ticks the lightweight box as it tips the scales at 7kg or slightly under. I bought one last October and can't fault it. I'm now looking to source some deepish section carbon clinchers to fit for next summer.
  • Matthewfalle
    MrB123 wrote:

disc. why add weight/expense/not needed on initial purchase and then more expense when he gets his deeeep rims?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Cannondale Synapse?

It's a bit confusing your fast as feck, but looking at an endurance type geometry?

E.g. Cannondale pure race is the Super Six versus their Endurance/Cobble section Synapse.

I would look at best bike awards from the industry media and go with one of those.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Some of Sensa's bikes might suit. This one has Integra Di2, but a standard wheelset and not the deeps as shown.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giul ... 28534.html
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    B'TWIN ultra 900 ?

7.8kg in meduim it says

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-900-c ... 90339.html
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Press fit BB though on thew btwin :roll:
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Press fit BB though on thew btwin :roll:
    Er, perhaps you could point out which of the bikes listed on this thread aren't press fit.

Cos I haven't found one mentioned yet.

Nothing wrong with press fit, problem is dodgy manufacturing tolerances/standards. Certainly BB86 which the btwin has is a better option, unless you really want a 30mm crank axle.
  • Matthewfalle
    planet x is threaded which in itself is a blimmin' good reason to put it very high on the list.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I’ve got a Trek Emonda and whilst not aero, it’s fairly rapid. You can get an SL6 with discs for £1800.
  • mr_eddy
    Ok so been a while since update but made a decision, went completely down another road and got a Trek Emonda SL5 Disc. It's 'only' 105 but it's still quite light considering discs (8.86kg) and I got £300 off plus a bag full of extras! I know it's superficial but I have never had a big name brand and Emondas get good reviews, a quick test ride and I was happy.

Not quite as light as some of the others I was considering but still light and that paint job!!!

I have used some of my left over £300 and got me some 320tpi Bontrager R4 classics in 28mm (roll really well and look pimp also drop 100g from stock), will see what wheel deals come up on black friday but some Hunt wheels for around £300 would drop 200g and give me a spare set of wheels.

Once the above is sorted and I pop on my Carbon drop bars (still using stock) I will be a shade over 8kg which is a pretty light compared to what I have been using.

Thanks for all the advice, will post pics soon.
  • mr_eddy
    This is the new whip , its still 11 speed just not Ultegra but the paintwork sold it for me

DSC03613.jpg
  • AARRRGGGHHHH FFFFF FFS