Shoe sizing

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.
Also any good tips on cleat set up on new shoes

Comments

• Personally, other people may differ, have always gone up at least one size, sometimes two.

I am like you a 42 in normal shoes but have one pair of cycling shoes in a 43 and one in a 44.

As you suggest you really need to try them on, preferably with the socks you would normally cycle in.

Obviously like normal shoes, one company's 42 may be bigger than another, width etc.
  • Shimano tend to size small from my experience, 43 just about fits me for a summer shoe with thin socks, but I'd go 44 for a winter shoe for thick sock clearance and a bit of air to help with insulation.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Shoe sizing
    Postby Michelin » 13 Oct 2019, 7:44am

I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.
    Also any good tips on cleat set up on new shoes
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Shimano tend to size small from my experience, 43 just about fits me for a summer shoe with thin socks, but I'd go 44 for a winter shoe for thick sock clearance and a bit of air to help with insulation.

Agreed. My normal shoes are 8 GB/42. Shimano bike shoes 43 with thin socks ,44 if I want a bit of room in them.