Focus Izalco Max

kozaki
kozaki Posts: 12
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
How aero is Focus Izalco Max against other aero bikes like Madone, Venge and Propel?

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    That would completely depend on how you tested it - aerodynamic drag of the frame alone (not much use in the real world), or difference in total drag of the rider+bike compared to rider+Madone or rider+Venge etc (bike and rider drag are not additive..). If the latter, what rider, in what clothing and in what riding position..?

The manufacturers never provide actual drag figures (of either type), because it would make it obvious how tiny a difference to total drag a different frame can make compared to other things you can change. Instead they provide figures such as "X watts saved at Y km/h" because that type of figure has to be based on a whole bunch of assumptions that aren't stated and aren't particularly obviously not being stated (so can be fiddled to maximise the supposed benefits).

Having said all that - the Izalco is marketed as a "lightweight aero" bike while the others you mention are marketed as "aero bikes". The former is a recent marketing category (which most manufacturers now have a product to fill, e.g. Scott with the new Addict, Cannondale with the new Supersix, etc etc.. You know, all of those drop-seatstay, narrow-kammtail-profile tubed bikes that all look the same). According to the marketing we are supposed to believe that "lighweight aero bikes" are lighter than aero bikes while still being aero, but not as aero. This is probably the case, by in large, but the tiny aerodynamic differences will be barely detectable if the bikes are fitted with the same wheels and compnents, set up the same way and ridden the same way.

Also, "lightweight aero" bikes are neither particularly light nor particularly aero because they have disc brakes (this seems to be an obligatory attribute of the marketing category). If you want a real lightweight aero bike, get an old Izalco Max 2nd hand (pre-frame-redesign), fit deep section tubulars with 38cm aero-profile handlebars and slam the stem..
  • It depends how much you care.

In the real world with your average cat 4 chopper/ weekend warrior, it won't make a scrap of difference.

If you are an elite triathlete or tester then I wouldn't recommend.

What's more important is that they are absolutely stunning and the Paul Smith esque paint job of yesteryear is gorgeous and as long as you aren't considering something as heinous as discs you should buy one immediately because horizontal top tubes make the best looking bikes and are dying out.
  • neeb wrote:
    get an old Izalco Max 2nd hand...deep section tubs....aero-profile handlebars...slam...stem ..
    This
  • neeb wrote:
    get an old Izalco Max 2nd hand...deep section tubs....aero-profile handlebars...slam...stem ..
    This

https://bigfootcc.co.uk/forums/topic/fs ... zalco-max/
  • neeb
    “All in, it’s worth well over £5k and weighs less than a flapjack. Romain Bardet came 3rd in the Tour on a lower spec version and Cyclist magazine’s said “The Izalco Max zips round corners like a rabid hare and glides up hills like a helium-filled Quintana”.”
    :D:D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    neeb wrote:
    “All in, it’s worth well over £5k and weighs less than a flapjack. Romain Bardet came 3rd in the Tour on a lower spec version and Cyclist magazine’s said “The Izalco Max zips round corners like a rabid hare and glides up hills like a helium-filled Quintana”.”
    :D:D

The bar for 'cycling journalists talking utter shite' is now at a whole new level..
  • kozaki
    I am thinking of buying Propel or Izalco max. I am just not sure how much faster is Propel frame than Izalco? So is it worth going for Izalco becouse it is more all-around bike.
  • neeb
    Kozaki wrote:
    I am thinking of buying Propel or Izalco max. I am just not sure how much faster is Propel frame than Izalco? So is it worth going for Izalco becouse it is more all-around bike.
    There will really be nothing in it. Get whichever rides best and fits you best (allows you to get your ideal fit with the minimum of fudges such as spacers or funny saddle positions). And whichever you like the look of best. Look at reviews and reports from owners online to see if there are differences in handling and ride feel (you will need to extract the odd nuggets of truth from the BS, there is no such thing as a non-promotional review these days, while buyers generally have little basis for objective comparisons). Look at geometry charts.
  • wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    Quite keen on this bike too but hard to find real world opinions about it?
    Anyone got one who can comment on the ride, feel and comfort?

Cheers!
  • All that matters are looks. Izalco it is.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    wahla21 wrote:

Cheers!

'real world' opinions are entirely subjective, and therefore irrelevant to you.
  • kozaki
    I do not think that personal opinion is irrelevant. There are not a lot informations about the bike out there and for that price I would like to hear some real word reviews from test rides.
  • wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    Imposter said:

wahla21 wrote:

Cheers!

'real world' opinions are entirely subjective, and therefore irrelevant to you.

Is it better with sponsored ads written up as "reviews" by all th ebike magazines and websites?
    I rather hear what people who paid for the bike think of it.