wednesday a smidge from prompt critical

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Got chatting with building manager one day and asked what the deal was with the Mercs. Told me the owner lived in the penthouse, had the Lambo as a toy to use once in a blue moon, but the AMG’s were the daily drives. He had 16 of them - yes, S-I-X-T-E-E-N AMG Mercedes, all black, and rotated them through every few days from a warehouse garage h e had to store them all.
    So the EPO thinks that he only has one?
    A friend of mine used to live in London and had a Lambo for his fun car and a Brabus Smart car to get around town, both parked in the street. When they limited perking permits to one per person he got rid of the Smart.
    Your mate definitely had his priorities sorted V. We're ditching the people carrier thing next year and Strifey can use Stropteen's Polo as she won't be taking it to uni.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Got chatting with building manager one day and asked what the deal was with the Mercs. Told me the owner lived in the penthouse, had the Lambo as a toy to use once in a blue moon, but the AMG’s were the daily drives. He had 16 of them - yes, S-I-X-T-E-E-N AMG Mercedes, all black, and rotated them through every few days from a warehouse garage h e had to store them all.
    So the EPO thinks that he only has one?
    A friend of mine used to live in London and had a Lambo for his fun car and a Brabus Smart car to get around town, both parked in the street. When they limited perking permits to one per person he got rid of the Smart.
    Was also noted that the guy was single, no EPO or kids. Builder/property developer. Looked to be mid 40s.

I can almost understand having that many cars to play with. Hell, I have 4, a motorbike and down to only 6 bikes and I’m deffo not rich. If/when I win the 50 mil lottery I’d probably trade them in for a few new shiny ones.

It was just that they were all black, and even appeared to be a couple variants of the same model. Why not have a little variety?? Think I spotted three different C63 coupes, one was the “Black” edition but the other two were just different year models I think, otherwise identical save for wheels. Different rego plates gave it away.

None of them appeared to be anything other than showroom standard either, no custom modifications to differentiate them.

Just odd. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    That’s odd alright, like you I’d go for a little variety.
    A friend’s son has just got a job working for someone that looks after a very rich bloke’s car collection. They are all different and appreciating in value unlike those Merc’s.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ...unlike those Merc’s.

And that is an oddity. Look up W202 C36 AMG's and clean, un-molested one's are still holding their pricey for what the cost originally.
    Some hold their value well and a lot don't.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1123060
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    I can see a decent market for big shouty V8s when most people have been browbeaten into driving around in souped up milk floats. And I've heard that there is a bloke in Stranraer who's very partial to vintage German machinery :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:

mercedes-amg-gt-r-pro_100680547.jpg

thats basically the car version of MFs S3 isn't it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    HaydenM wrote:
    There is nothing more attractive than a fast estate car in my eyes, especially an AMG. I was overtaken by what I thought was an E class AMG estate the other day. Want/10

I'd take an RS4/6 if I really had to as well

ths totally, but no to the Audi - i'd go retro for a chipped and tuned Volvo T5 hoon around blaring Whitesnake from the speakers.

EPO once banned me from getting a Saab 2.3 V6 twin turbo estate job. That would have been mental. Friend bought an all black one and when you turn the dash lights off at night the only thing that stays lit is the rev counter needle. Sooooo cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I had a Saab 93 aero 2l HOT. Laggy. Massive torque steer. The former Mrs H3 kept it when we separated.

The older I get, the less interested I am in what car I have. No point in London anyway. Quicker on foot, by bike or train.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    HaydenM wrote:
    There is nothing more attractive than a fast estate car in my eyes, especially an AMG. I was overtaken by what I thought was an E class AMG estate the other day. Want/10

I'd take an RS4/6 if I really had to as well

ths totally, but no to the Audi - i'd go retro for a chipped and tuned Volvo T5 hoon around blaring Whitesnake from the speakers.

EPO once banned me from getting a Saab 2.3 V6 twin turbo estate job. That would have been mental. Friend bought an all black one and when you turn the dash lights off at night the only thing that stays lit is the rev counter needle. Sooooo cool.

Yep, the Audi's are dull, in whatever R guise.
    The SAAB V6 'Griffin' had a modified Isuzu diesel engine. It was a wet liner thing and after 60k, the only thing was when it was going to start cooking water, not 'if. Pity.
    SAAB should have gone rear wheel drive and then they would have competed against all the other executive cars.
    My SAAB was a 2.2t. Beautifully built, quick, terrible at cornering and munched front tyres quicker than a 100 starving cows in a silage shop.. I couldn't get on with the front wheel drive.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

mercedes-amg-gt-r-pro_100680547.jpg

thats basically the car version of MFs S3 isn't it?
    It's the track spec version of the GT-R. Let's see a pic of the S3 then.