Hardtail specs

donboogie
donboogie Posts: 75
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a new 29er hardtail with Shimano XT or XT/SLX 1x12 drivetrain and brakes, Fox shock (remote lockout not needed), dropper post, and preferably tire clearance up to 2.6". Not for racing just for laps of my local trails.

Nothing 2020 on the market that I've seen seems to fit. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pick a frame you like the look of then build it up with the parts you like, that way you aren’t limited if you don’t like a particular spec choice.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trek Stache
    https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... visibility

You'll need a very specific frame to clear 29 plus (or semi plus) sized tyres, easy for the front, less so for the rear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    Pick a frame you like the look of then build it up with the parts you like, that way you aren’t limited if you don’t like a particular spec choice.

Or buy a bike close to the specification you want and remove the parts you don't want before riding and sell as new on ebay and then buy the parts you actually want and fit to the bike. I would imagine normally this is the cheaper option.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What is your budget?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    Pick a frame you like the look of then build it up with the parts you like, that way you aren’t limited if you don’t like a particular spec choice.

Or buy a bike close to the specification you want and remove the parts you don't want before riding and sell as new on ebay and then buy the parts you actually want and fit to the bike. I would imagine normally this is the cheaper option.

Which is a faff, takes time, and might not sell. You also can’t sell them as ‘new’ on eBay as you aren’t offering a warranty.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    DonBoogie wrote:
    I'm looking for a new 29er hardtail with Shimano XT or XT/SLX 1x12 drivetrain and brakes, Fox shock (remote lockout not needed), dropper post, and preferably tire clearance up to 2.6". Not for racing just for laps of my local trails.

Nothing 2020 on the market that I've seen seems to fit. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I find it hard to believe that there are no suitable bikes with the spec you want unless you are being limited by budget which you haven't mentioned.

Are you looking for alloy or carbon frame? You may find it difficult to find a bike that comes spec'd with a dropper seatpost but that is something you can fit yourself after buying the bike.

I have a Cube LTD Race which is pretty much the spec you want with the exception of the dropper seat post (which I have no desire for anyway) but its XT/SLX drive train, remote lock out fork, 29" wheels, 2.25" tyres with plenty of clearance for wider if need be. The LTD model has been discontinued but I think the Reaction is the replacement for it.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/ ... prod192347
  • MugenSi wrote:

I find it hard to believe that there are no suitable bikes with the spec you want unless you are being limited by budget which you haven't mentioned.

SRAM pretty much have the ‘enthusiast’ OEM market to themselves, thanks to how quick they got mid range 12 speed groups out (amongst other things, like Shimano being tools about microspline licensing) Reckon it’ll be a couple of years (due to manufacturers buying cycles) before you see bikes with 1x12 XT/SLX.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • I don't have a particular budget but I don't feel like spending $5,000 on a hardtail, which is why I would prefer to buy off the shelf instead of going custom. I will check out Cube. Thanks for the explanation about SRAM vs Shimano, makes sense.