Thoughts on this XC bike

avalanche_expert
avalanche_expert Posts: 177
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
I’m currently considering replacing my almost 5 year old GT Avalanche 27.5 to a newer bike with boost axles and 1x drivetrain and more up to date XC geometry and 29er.

What are people’s thoughts on this?

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV366589

I’m open to other suggestions for a similar price. Only recently started looking around, I just liked the look of this. I usually find Specialzed very overpriced. I don’t want a press fit BB or SRAM brakes, also some half decent wheels/hubs would be nice. Not sure how good Specialized own brand wheels are? But the rest of the bike looks quite decent.

This is going to be a winter XC bike. So ease of maintenance, like easy BB replacement and reliable hubs are more important to me than bling. I’ve got two pressfit BB bikes - and whilst I have no issues replacing the BBs as and when needed, for a winter bike taking the worst of the worst UK conditions, I’d prefer a threaded BB.

My old Avalanche has a RS Reba fitted and Mavic Crossride wheels and full 3x10 XT groupset. I think the Specialized May be a slight downgrade in the fork dept, but modern XC bikes with Rebas and really good wheel sets starts pushing the price quite a bit.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bike is a big downgrade, in fact I think it's dreadful value.

The Judy replaced the Recon, this has steel stanchions and a coil (on a £1300 bike - ye gods), as for tackling Enduro rides, well the Sports direct influence is strong in this listing!

Don't walk away, RUN!
    Much cheaper and better specced
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -22-frames

Slightly dearer and better if you're a brand junky
    https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-procal ... e-EV340643

Or this is far far better!
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCGX/on-one-scandal-gx
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the recommendations and the advice.

I actually missed the steel stanchions, sneaky photo as they look black! Although it does describe it as a solo air?

I’ll take a look at the others you’ve mentioned. I actually think I’ve already seen the Trek and was considering adding it to a shortlist. It seems to me that £1300 - £1500 doesn’t seem to buy much at the moment. Considering my GT is on a Reba, Mavics, full XT, Renthal bars etc...

It’s seems I’d be gaining modern geo with boost and 1x, but downgrading all of the components.

The GT is due a chain and cassette imminently. I’m wondering if I should just do a 1x10 conversion on it, as the triple chain set is the single thing that irks me the most with it. It’s already 10 speed, so wouldn’t be hard to do. Just a wider range cassette and narrow wide middle ring, maybe a link for the rear mech hanger. Hmm...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd do that, wide range 1x10 conversion, new tyres etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    For less than £250 you could convert to SLX 1x11.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks chaps, I think this is the route I’m going to look at.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I did the sort of opposite to you. I bought a new frame and moved most bits across.

I ended up with a longer HT bike (next size up) that was slacker and more stable pointed downhill.

It's nice when you don't have to buy a whole new bike!

PS - also agree that Spesh are overpriced for the spec. Used to love them but now they're getting left behind.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Just to update, this thread. I have upgraded to 1x10 on my Avalanche, the 1x system was one of the main reasons for wanting to get something else. I already have 2 other 1x bikes and much prefer it.

I’ve upgraded my GT and renewed the whole drivetrain for less than £100, Raceface chainring and a Deore 10 speed 11 - 42 does nicely. Looking at bikes in the £1300 range as I was before, nothing even really seems to equal what I’ve got now. Although through axles would be nice, but certainly not essential.

Overall happy with the change of parts.