Toe Covers

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2019 in Commuting chat
I've been using up my stock of Craft Toe Covers purchased when Rutland were doing them for £4 a pair. They are excellent and long lasting despite the punishment of continually putting your foot down on the commute. Unfortunately Craft have stopped making them.

I've tried Castelli Toe Thingies but the fabric used on the sole just dissolves on contact with tarmac.

So, what are people using?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    a dollop of MTFU every morning? :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    oxoman wrote:
    Full overshoes, cheap and cheerful. I replace my best ones every year and use the old ones for off-road stuff.

I get too hot in them generally. Toe warmers are perfect for what I need.

Edit: Problem with Aliexpress resolved by re-inputting my details on the site rather than the app. Have ordered some neoprene covers from China for £2 a pair.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Asprilla wrote:
    Edit: Problem with Aliexpress resolved by re-inputting my details on the site rather than the app. Have ordered some neoprene covers from China for £2 a pair.

Linky?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    -Dash wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Linky?

Aye interested too. I use the dhb ones currently - they last for a winter. The craft ones just fell off my shoes, possibly because they have recessed cleats.
  • asprilla
    -Dash wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Linky?

Probably should have done it earlier in the year since delivery might take a while.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3264781 ... b201603_52
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Planet X do Carnac ones for a fiver + postage
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCATOECVR/carnac-toe-cover
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Most robust ones I've found are the DHB ones. One pair still going strong after a few years of commuting.

The logo isn't as big as the image shows!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-toe-cover-overshoe/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Think Galibier do them but don't know if they're any good.

I've always found the Castelli ones to be great, but I use Speedplays so the mahoosive cleats prevent any contact between toe cover and the ground.
  • Yep, I'll second the DHB ones. Been using them for years, last ages. I can't stand the faff of full overshoes (even though their not that much of a faff!). Don't like faffing. :-)
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Think Galibier do them but don't know if they're any good.

I've always found the Castelli ones to be great, but I use Speedplays so the mahoosive cleats prevent any contact between toe cover and the ground.

Got a pair, they're longer than the usual ones, have held up very well but I've mislaid them somewhere in the house.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes I've some Galibier ones. I THINK they're in the back pocket of my winter jersey. If that's any help Mr Anonymous ?
  • No idea on their durability or insulating properties, but those reflective ones on PX for £8 look interesting, in as much as your moving feet will give you some extra visibility from the sides and to traffic heading towards you.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I had some of the Craft toe covers, probably when Rutland had them cheap also, but now have wiggle's dhb toe covers which are much better. Greater shoe coverage, good sized cut out without pinching the edges and a kevlar sole.

I pair them with a pair of Lusso Windtex overshoes when the cold dictates.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Asprilla wrote:
    Probably should have done it earlier in the year since delivery might take a while.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3264781 ... b201603_52

I'm another one for Ali Express toe covers, wasn't specifically looking for them but saw them for stupidly cheap so bought a couple of pairs. As mentioned delivery is as fast as a slow boat from China and mine had a big logo on them which I made a little less obvious with a black marker pen. They have lasted longer than I expected and only use them on one pair of shoes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Yes I've some Galibier ones. I THINK they're in the back pocket of my winter jersey. If that's any help Mr Anonymous ?

Found them in the back room under a pile of coats, in your face crap weather gods!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've been using up my stock of Craft Toe Covers purchased when Rutland were doing them for £4 a pair. They are excellent and long lasting despite the punishment of continually putting your foot down on the commute. Unfortunately Craft have stopped making them.

I've tried Castelli Toe Thingies but the fabric used on the sole just dissolves on contact with tarmac.

So, what are people using?

Craft toe covers...
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Rutland cycling have Caratti neoprene toe covers for £2.50

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing ... ack_466349

Which is pretty much as cheap as AliExpress, though you will need to pay postage if that's all you're getting (£2, free delivery for £10 orders)
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    just received a pair from wish.com

look good. comparable to my castelli ones
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The Evans LG ones were the best I’ve used. Don’t think they sell them any more though. I’ve got some Carnac ones that are decent. The craft ones are a bit meh.

Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017