NEED INFO ON KNEE PADS!!

thehenmtb
thehenmtb Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

I have a cool project going on right now and am looking to the forums to get some helpful information.

I’m basically trying to design a new form of protection for mtb riding, whether its enduro, xc, trail riding, whatever you want to classify your riding style as. At this point, I’m trying to get as much rider feedback as i can about what people use, what they like and dislike in current pads, and what could be done better.

What would your ideal protection from crashing be?
What do you love about current pads?
What do you hate about current pads?
What could be improved/changed?

Basically, if you could create your ideal pads for riding, what would they be?

Do you ride with pads at all? If so, can you give me some of your thoughts on them? Do you wear them on extended rides? Only on the descents?

Do you have to take your shoes off to put them on/off?

If you don’t ride with any sort of pads, why don’t you? What new features or new type of pad would make you want to buy them?

This is the type of information I’m looking for, i want to develop exactly what us Mountain Bikers want and need so I’m looking to the forums for as much feedback as possible! Feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    You might be better putting this into a survey with some open questions as well. My take on your post is '..tell me what is the best knee pad...' which is not that interesting. No objection as to your intentions but your data gathering proposal seems to me to be weak.
  • Well I think this is awesome!

I’m just a generic mountain biker, trail riding etc. Fairly new as well.

In a crash, my main goal is just to try and minimise bruising as much as possible and not get injured too bad behind a 10 min recovery. I’m pretty cautious, being injured for me is really not going to be good so so I like enough padding to feel safe but not so it’s incredibly bulky on my knee- i’m small.

Pads currently are pretty good, they’re often low profile and offer enough protection, light and breathable.
    But many, including mine don’t have a top strap for adjustment, and silicon strips aren’t always enough. Also, I don’t think there’s enough pads that have interchangeable/removable pads for customisable safety- think 7 idp covert but way less bulky.
    Price point is also a big thing for me.

Knee pads could be improved with extended shin protection on more- but not enough for knee-shin categorisation. More side protection

My ideal pads? Knee sleeve, with a foam/ d3o pad and side protection in foam with the option of a hard cap. A strap at the top, and extends down a quarter or more on the shin. Flexible. Looks durable, hopefully actually is!

As I said, I am cautious so I ride with pads anytime, it’s just easier and I feel safer on the bike. They’re comfortable but no top strap- tld kg5500, so do slip a bit. And i do have to take my shoes off, but i don’t really mind.

Not sure about new features, my description is the dream and I bet they exist- but not cheap.
  • Big fan of the Scott Soldier 2 pads.
    Light and unobtrusive when you are riding. Uses D3O tech which stiffens on impact. Doesn't use straps to attach to your leg meaning that they are more comfortable. And dual use - I use them on my bike and when I'm snowboarding (my right knee is a bit of a mess after I broke my patella).
    Not too warm and can be worn for extended periods (wore them for an entire day riding and forgot to take them off when I got back to my house - a good indicator of how comfy they are).
    Downside - only useful for trails and 'light enduro'. Mesh rear not durable in the least.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)