Do you think this new Ritchey carbon stem is genuine....?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,940
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ritchey-WCS-3K-Stem-Gloss-Carbon-Fibre-110mm-Length-Road-MTB/352784502434?hash=item5223984ea2:g:H1wAAOSwR5FdD5PV
s-l500.jpg

Tricky to say really, especially as that's not the 110 one.

I want a 110 length, and I have Ritchey already, I'm just not 100% sure.

Opinions?

I have a couple in different lengths of this style, with the different font, and narrower spaced bolts - and I prefer this, but not sure if the one above has replaced it:
s-l1600.jpg

*I note feedback is good, and I will message the seller.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I take it you've noticed it may be a second with a flaw which probably isn't ideal being carbon? Probably nothing to worry about but it would probably put me off.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • daniel_b
    handful wrote:
    I take it you've noticed it may be a second with a flaw which probably isn't ideal being carbon? Probably nothing to worry about but it would probably put me off.

Oh no I never picked that up, where are you seeing that?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If it is genuine I am not surprised that there are a load for sale . They weigh 140 gms why would anyone want one at any price. You can buy a Deda stem that weighs that much for about £12 !
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    The one in the second photo looks to be alloy with a carbon overlay.
    No?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Daniel B wrote:
    handful wrote:

If you open up "condition" it says:-

New other (see details): An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may include original accessories. The item may be a factory second (i.e. it has a small flaw that does not affect the operation of the item such as a scratch or dent). See the seller's listing for full details and description
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I'm always suspicious of listings without images of the actual product.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    It's a knock-off made in Xiamen or Dongguan, selling around just 15 gbp on taobao.
    e.g, one with no logo.
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... 4408715082

Ritchey doesn't use these kind of crews shown on ebay.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    handful wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    handful wrote:

If you open up "condition" it says:-

New other (see details): An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may include original accessories. The item may be a factory second (i.e. it has a small flaw that does not affect the operation of the item such as a scratch or dent). See the seller's listing for full details and description

But that's just the generic description of 'New (other)', and that's why it refers you to the item description. There is no reference to any flaw in the description - in fact there is no reference to the condition at all in the description, just the specs. My instincts say knock-off.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks all, all things taken into consideration, I did think it was a bit too good to be true, and you've helped cement that opinion :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18