(Aero) lightweight bike choice

Canyon lovers
Canyon lovers Posts: 14
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am deciding between a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 and a C'Dale SuperSix evo UT(old or new are okay) to replace my old aluminium aero bike which I have spent 2 years on it. I want my new bike to be fast on the climb but also not too slow on the flat(The old aero bike climbs okay). The new SuperSix should be the best option for me in terms of bike performance. However I don't want to miss any good bikes. Therefore I am here to ask if any of you had ridden these bikes before and your feeling of these bikes. Also I would like to know how good is the old SuperSix or the TCR hold speed on the flat.RIght now the only thing that holds me from getting the new SuperSix is its acceleration may not be as good as the old SuperSix or the TCR(Hope this is not true)

(Or I can wait for one more year for a new version of Canyon Ultimate or the TCR)

Please let me know, thank you.

Comments

• Can't comment on the performance of any of these having not ridden any of them, but in terms of other bikes in the same league, I'd make sure to have a look at the new Scott Addict RC which just had a similar redesign to the SuperSix to make it more aero. And of course all those aero optimised lightweight bikes are looking more and more like the Specialized Tarmac so that seems worth a look as well.
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • Yep, I'd be all over (and waiting), for the new Addict...
  • Spesh tarmac?
  • The new Addict is also a good bike I got to say, but it's a disc only. Therefore its not on my list. I prefer rim brake more than disc(easier maintenance). Also the Addict might give me a harsh ride(from the review), the SuperSix however, will give me a easier one. In terms of aero performance, I can swap out the original bar and stem so to make the SuperSix evo with better aero performance.The rim brake version of the SuperSix also get the hole at the head tube like the disc version , I can make use of it to make the SuperSix neat , like the Addict or the Hi-mod SuperSix
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Strange username for someone choosing between a Giant and a Cannondale...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Imposter wrote:

Must be a geologist :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    I do love Canyon bikes after all and will get one(possibly the Aeroad) eventually. However, the Aeroad is too old while the Ultimate is not as competitive as the SuperSix. So I exclude this brand in my mid(high but not top)-range bike selection. Hopefully I can include Canyon again in my list of the next bike I get. Speaking of my username, it's just like people in Mainland China keep buying and using IPhones or buy cars made by foreign brands while claiming they love their local brands so much. Afterall, people buy what they think is the best to them. I want a bike that can provide me a relaxed ride but still can support me in races, and these two(or three) are what I think the best to me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    I do love Canyon bikes after all and will get one(possibly the Aeroad) eventually. However, the Aeroad is too old while the Ultimate is not as competitive as the SuperSix. So I exclude this brand in my mid(high but not top)-range bike selection. Hopefully I can include Canyon again in my list of the next bike I get. Speaking of my username, it's just like people in Mainland China keep buying and using IPhones or buy cars made by foreign brands while claiming they love their local brands so much. Afterall, people buy what they think is the best to them. I want a bike that can provide me a relaxed ride but still can support me in races, and these two(or three) are what I think the best to me.

So you don’t have a Canyon now?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    However, the Aeroad is too old

Not sure what you mean by 'too old' - it's probably the best performing and best value aero frameset currently available...
  • Imposter wrote:

So you don’t have a Canyon now?
    Yep, Canyon is quite hard to get from where I live(And I don't really trust these shipping things).See if any of my local bike shops can help me ordering a Canyon.Also, you don't need to own one brand's stuff before you call yourself as a fan of the brand, just like you don't need to ride a Dogma or even join Team INEOS before you call yourself a supporter of Team IENOS
  • Imposter wrote:
    However, the Aeroad is too old

Not sure what you mean by 'too old' - it's probably the best performing and best value aero frameset currently available...
    I agree with everything you said.Aeroad is a frame used for 5 years now(so why I say it is old, excluding the CF SL frame and disc version, there is really nothing changed on the Aeroad. Trek and S-Works has updated their aero bike within 5 years and even Cannondale has finally release its very first aero bike.) and I never doubt its performance, I just expect something more from the Aeroad. In 2019 there are a lot of technology advancements for making bikes. I'm sure the next gen Aeroad can be more aero whilst keeping the compliance.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    ...Aeroad is a frame used for 5 years now...In 2019 there are a lot of technology advancements for making bikes.

Such as...?

The main advances I've seen in the last 5 years have been in marketing.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    ...Aeroad is a frame used for 5 years now...In 2019 there are a lot of technology advancements for making bikes.

Such as...?

The main advances I've seen in the last 5 years have been in marketing.

Having ridden the aeroad and a bunch of other aero bikes, it's brilliant but there are certainly more comfortable aero bikes out there.

You'd imagine they'll release a 2021 version some time next year with a bunch more clearance/comfort/integration etc.

I like the look of the newest venge but personally I'd stick some aero wheels on a tarmac if it were my money (and a paint job by Tyler):

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ecmQgFj0g/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    the Ultimate is not as competitive as the SuperSix.

Huh? The Ultimate is still winning loads of races.
  • imposter2.0
    I just expect something more from the Aeroad.

Specifically, what 'more' are you expecting?
    In 2019 there are a lot of technology advancements for making bikes. I'm sure the next gen Aeroad can be more aero whilst keeping the compliance.

Can you be more specific on these 'technology advancements'.? Also not sure what you mean by 'compliance' - if you want a frame that 'bends', buy a FS MTB...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    The new Addict is also a good bike I got to say, but it's a disc only. Therefore its not on my list. I prefer rim brake more than disc(easier maintenance). Also the Addict might give me a harsh ride(from the review), the SuperSix however, will give me a easier one. In terms of aero performance, I can swap out the original bar and stem so to make the SuperSix evo with better aero performance.The rim brake version of the SuperSix also get the hole at the head tube like the disc version , I can make use of it to make the SuperSix neat , like the Addict or the Hi-mod SuperSix

I'd be going, and did go, for a Foil :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Imposter wrote:
    I just expect something more from the Aeroad.

Specifically, what 'more' are you expecting?
    In 2019 there are a lot of technology advancements for making bikes. I'm sure the next gen Aeroad can be more aero whilst keeping the compliance.

Can you be more specific on these 'technology advancements'.? Also not sure what you mean by 'compliance' - if you want a frame that 'bends', buy a FS MTB...
    Some more cable integration maybe, also a better bar and stem combo. Aerocockpit is good but a separate bar and stem like those on the other aero bike is better for all riders so that they can have the right stem and bar on the bike.Canyon may add graphene when making carbon frame for better frame stiffness and lighter weight.I also hope Canyon will have the bend on the frame behind the front wheel, just like the Cervelo S5 disc, That bend is really appealing to me.
    Also not sure what you mean by 'compliance'
    The Aeroad is one of the few aero bikes that is comfortable, as good as the suspension equipped Trek Madone
  • Joe Totale wrote:

Just wait. The new SuperSix is only out for a few months only
  • Joe Totale wrote:

You truly believe the bike wins the races? F1 cycling ain't!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Bit weird that none of the pros were riding the disc braked Supersix at the tour, despite the fact that as far as I know, the rim braked one was only available in in non Hi-Mod. Might the new Supersix be a bit more porky than claimed? Certainly the System Six seems to be a heavy old beast.

Cervelo s3 would be an option - bit more aero focused than the SS/TCR but not so full on that it will be a major compromise on the climbs.

The new Aeroad is meant to be close to release though - probably worth hanging on for that.
    https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26702 ... -road-bike
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Just looked at a bunch of new bikes myself to replace my CAAD12.
    In the end I went with a Spesh tarmac disc. It's light, it's stiff, it's as aero as the Venge used to be and it was on sale :-)
  • bradsbeard wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Indeed the rider is major factor in winning a race. But the equipment(the bike) is also important, like Froome could never win the Tour De France on a fixed gear. You will win easier when you have the right equipment and you feel good and confident for the race. Therefore the rider is a key factor but not the only factor when it comes to winning a race, the bike should also be considered.
  • bradsbeard wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Indeed the rider is major factor in winning a race. But the equipment(the bike) is also important, like Froome could never win the Tour De France on a fixed gear. You will win easier when you have the right equipment and you feel good and confident for the race. Therefore the rider is a key factor but not the only factor when it comes to winning a race, the bike should also be considered.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Re the importance of having the ‘right’ equipment, world time trial champion Rohan Dennis seems to have some strong opinions on the matter.
  • bradsbeard wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Indeed the rider is the most important factor when it comes to winning a race. However, the bike should also be considered. Like Froome could never win the Tour de France on a fixed gear. You need both a fit body and a bike that is good for you in order to win a race. Good bikes don't necessary guarantee you victory but without a good bike you could never win a race.
  • So can we just go back and talk about the ability of the TCR and the SuperSix instead of my weird username or bikes from other brands?
  • Canyon lovers
    Canyon lovers Posts: 14
    edited October 2019
    MrB123 wrote:
    Bit weird that none of the pros were riding the disc braked Supersix at the tour, despite the fact that as far as I know, the rim braked one was only available in in non Hi-Mod. Might the new Supersix be a bit more porky than claimed? Certainly the System Six seems to be a heavy old beast.

Cervelo s3 would be an option - bit more aero focused than the SS/TCR but not so full on that it will be a major compromise on the climbs.

The new Aeroad is meant to be close to release though - probably worth hanging on for that.
    https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26702 ... -road-bike
    Did heard some riders talking about the climbing ability of the S3. But I am getting bored of aero bikes as my bike now is an aero bike, also I do live in an area where I have more climbs that flats. Climbing is not harsh with my current bike but I just want to be more comfortable on the climbs. Therefore I decided to get a all-rounder bike instead of some pure aero or lightweight machines.
    The new Aeroad looks good and I might wait for the new Aeroad if I didn't make up my mind on getting either the SuperSix or the TCR. If I really cannot feel that I'm enjoying the climbs more on the new bike, then I guess I might sell it for the Aeroad then(But I'm confident that neither the TCR or the SuperSix won't disappoint me on any part of the road)
    (By the way I'm still waiting for a long term review on the new SuperSix from Gran Fondo or Road.cc)
  • Singleton wrote:
    Just looked at a bunch of new bikes myself to replace my CAAD12.
    In the end I went with a Spesh tarmac disc. It's light, it's stiff, it's as aero as the Venge used to be and it was on sale :-)
    I'm interested in what bikes you have considered before you choose the Tarmac. Reason for me not choosing a Tarmac is because I really don't like riding a bike that is frequently seen on the road. That's why I opt for the superSix or the TCR cus I seldom see them when riding(1 or 2 maybe from Jun to Sep)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    If you want a bike which is unique and rarely seen on the road then go custom build.

The tarmac is an awesome bike. It's not cheap and it's popularity is because of how it rides - which is all that matters in a bike.

Although tbh I would actually argue that there are probably more canyon ultimates on the roads than tarmacs these days.