WTD: cheap hybrid/touring frameset small

voicycle
voicycle Posts: 95
edited October 2019 in Road bikes
WANTED: modest & small touring/hybrid frameset

I'm doing a low-spec spare-parts-bin style town/pub bike build with/for a pal, and am looking for a frameset to get us started. He's on the shorter side - 28" inseam and 5'9" - so I'm looking for a pretty small frame. Probably 48-52cm in road bike terms. We're going to build it up as a 1x9 flat bar kind of thing and I'd like to have room for 32c or bigger tyres on it, so something with a bit of clearance and either canti/vee or disc brake mounts would be good. Rider might not be tall but is a big lad so we'll err on the side of sturdy rather than racy in our bike choice.

I'm thinking it will probably be either a neglected/battered hybrid, a forgotten tourer, or possibly a pre-1980 road bike. Am watching ebay/marketplace/gumtree and second hand shops but thought it worth putting out an actual request too in case someone has something unloved knocking about. We picked up something promising from a local second hand bike charity today for £20 but on closer inspection the frame has alignment issues so we're back to square one.

Anyone got anything forgotten/neglected that's not otherwise worth listing up here and which you'd be willing to part with for a modest sum? Maybe under £50? Preferably in central Scotland as I think it might be cost prohibitive to ship something so bulky with such little value.

Cheers!
Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc