Suddenly noisy front brakes

tangotonyb
tangotonyb Posts: 14
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have disc brakes on my Voodoo Hoodoo.
All was fine until last week when suddenly my bike started making a really loud screeching noise - it wasn't continuous - it would let me ride 50m before starting and then it would happen for a bit then stop, then start again etc

I suspect the front brakes so detached the caliper and rode the bike without them - no noise.

Odd thing is the rear brakes need replacing, but the front ones still have plenty of life left in them. The front brake disc is clean and rust free.

Any reason why my bike has suddenly started doing this, and anything I can do to resolve?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Wet pads, or contaminated ones.

Not much you can do about it except change the pads
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wet, contaminated or glazed pads.

Or a stone stuck in the pad!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Resurface with a bit of sandpaper 120grit taking off the top dirty layer. spray the disc with auto brake cleaner then wipe with a CLEAN rag. Your brake pads will need bedding in get onto some mild downhill and apply mild pressure not slamming on with start stop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too many wrongs...

Use a bike brake cleaner (orIPA) not a car one, some of those leave residues that bike brakes won't get hot enough to burn off.

Bedding in needs to be firm (but not full on) braking, mild is a great way to glaze new pads
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.