Converting a road into E-road

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited October 2019 in Commuting general
Hi,

I was thinking to acquire something in the lines of a Ribble SL-e bike for my commuting but looking into other options I've found a plethora of converting kits for regular bikes that I was not aware of.

Is there any kit that can convert my road bike into an e-bike maintaining my current groupset (Campy centaur)?

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Pedelecs forum probably better to ask.
    A wheel hub perhaps, but imo, self conversions look worse than a dogs dinner.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The Ribble bikes look lush. I'd go with one of those.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The midmount motors are the better option, Bafang BBS01 or similar. Heavy hub motors make the bike less pleasant to ride. You will still need to add motor cut out to brake levers etc though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've done 2 wheel conversions - both front wheel hub motors - I'd concur with the "dogs dinner" with cables everywhere.
    The hub motors come with basic square rims and a high spoke count ... they look ugly - ok for a hybrid - but wouldn't want one on my road bike...
    The cables are externally routed - with moulded plugs on the end you've got no choice unless you're prepared to do some pretty major surgery ... :o
    On the bars you've got
    2xbrake cut offs - so the motor cuts out when the brakes are applied
    display unit - turn on/off & change mode
    Thumb accelerator - handy when you're not on the bike but want to push it somewhere hard - like up a hill

Then you've got a choice of battery - either a rack mount or bottle mount - on a commuter a rack mount should be fine - the ones we got came with a rack.

and by the bottom bracket you've got a cadence sensor - the ones we got had a disk of magnets and a fitted sensor - it's optional, but gave you the pedal assist rather than just using the accelerator ...

For me, I'd rather put the £350+ into a new e-bike with mid-drive